Make Golden Mean calipers
(03-16-2022, 01:02 PM)Alan S Wrote: The golden ratio shows up many places in math and nature: the ratio of adjacent Fibonacci numbers approach it for example.  It does look good. 

People periodically point out that matches in art are not precise.  So what?  The video linked above shows a way that doesn’t produce the ratio, and suggests that says something about it.  I didn’t watch beyond that.

I linked it bcs I found it interesting to hear a contrarian pov., not to cause friction. I have no dog in any fight.  I think the point of the video is two-fold. 1) to show that most claimed applications of the golden ratio are really using the Fibonacci sequence.  He shows how Fib. sequence only aprox. the golden ratio, and in some cases poorly.  Conclusion - the golden ratio can't be so special if we're just as pleased with something that's kinda close to it.  2) he points out that ascribing the golden ratio as the genesis of some designs is really arbitrary in that we could find many other design formula to come up with the same result.  So there is an element of confirmation bias.
"Made one, never have used it!!!"

I have a few shopmade or store bought gadgets in that category. Often that means a better or simpler solution is available. I try to get rid of them in one of those irregular shop clean-up sessions.

Simon
(03-15-2022, 08:01 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Tony, I made this one close to 20 years ago ...

[Image: Fibonacci-Gauge2.jpg]

Tasmanian Blackwood and brass, with handmade brass rivets.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Oh woaaaaw
Smile
I have a table in my van because of 1.618. After I measured for drawers following that principle, I had 3/4” left over. What to do with 3/4”? A table!
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
(04-01-2022, 09:24 AM)MsNomer Wrote: I have a table in my van because of 1.618.  After I measured for drawers following that principle, I had 3/4” left over.  What to do with 3/4”?  A table!
How about a map or magazine rack???????
Laugh
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Maps are stuffed everywhere there is space for them, as are books. Magazines—not so much.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

Maps are stuffed everywhere there is space for them, as are books. Magazines—not so much.
Carolyn