Delta?
Not sure if this post belongs here or in wood turning - moderators - apologies if this is in the wrong forum.  I have an opportunity for a good deal on an old Delta lathe.  Not sure of the model number but it is not a bench top but rather full size.  Here is the question - I have seen posts here and elsewhere about difficulty getting parts for old Delta WW machinery.  Does anyone have any additional information on old Delta machines and the ability to get parts if needed?  While i am always looking for a good deal on a machine (and I don't currently own a lathe), I don't want to go and get that thing, haul it down my basement and then have it be way more trouble that it is worth rather than just biting the bullet on a new one or other used one.  Any comments would be welcome.  Thanks in advance...FPT.
I'm the owner of a 1970ish Rockwell Delta 46-450.  Some parts are difficult to find Pulleys, reeves drives etc. , but ebay and or other online communities will resolve those.  Otherwise, it is likely bearings will go, and those are common sizes, so not a problem to replace. 

Been quite happy with the lathe over 3-5 years, it is missing some minor things, like a handle for the wheel on tailstock, but I was able to make a wooden one. 

I'd not let parts keep me from an older delta/rockwell machine, or powermatic FWIW.
I had and recently sold my Delta model 1460. The only part that I needed to replace over a course of 20 yrs was the jack bolt for the tail stock. I was able to fabricate from a left hand bolt. Bearings in the head stock are available from any bearing supply house. and videos on how to replace are available. There are several youtube videos on changing from a four step pulley system into a VFD with a 3 phase motor and VFD unit. I did this and it worked great. The model 1460 I owned was manufactured in 1954 ( I called Delta when they still answered questions). The only reason I sold is I wanted a larger swing machine.

Greg
(03-15-2022, 07:25 AM)fptahoe Wrote: Not sure if this post belongs here or in wood turning - moderators - apologies if this is in the wrong forum.  I have an opportunity for a good deal on an old Delta lathe.  Not sure of the model number but it is not a bench top but rather full size.  Here is the question - I have seen posts here and elsewhere about difficulty getting parts for old Delta WW machinery.  Does anyone have any additional information on old Delta machines and the ability to get parts if needed?  While i am always looking for a good deal on a machine (and I don't currently own a lathe), I don't want to go and get that thing, haul it down my basement and then have it be way more trouble that it is worth rather than just biting the bullet on a new one or other used one.  Any comments would be welcome.  Thanks in advance...FPT.

There's really not enough information to respond to.  "Old Delta lathe" can be anything.  Some models were cheap entry level machines and others were full featured lathes.  Pictures will help.  Condition is another defining factor.
Buying a well-made new lathe is always a safe bet, at least for the short term.  Consider the Canadian Oneway brand line.  They offer both full size lathes and some small lathes.
I have a shop full of mostly used machines.  I have always felt used hobby owner machines are the best deal.  Lathes, in particular, generally don't get heavy or abusive use.  I've never needed much besides bearings.  Go check it out.  If it's all there with nothing broken or missing and you like it, bring it home.  

John
Hi John - that is exactly what I intend to do.  Appreciate the response...FPT