Cherry and Sapele Bench
I get logs from a local arborist.  Sometimes I make something for him in return.  Recently he asked me to make a bench like this.

[Image: AM-JKLWkyt_RpQxO7FBrM_0oRTcTPJ1no8S6C7xv...authuser=1]

It's cherry, the last of my 8/4 stock, with a strip of Sapele.  I had to add the Sapele to get the 19-1/4" width needed for the finger joints to be symmetrical with the 1-3/4" thickness.  I like the contrast.  Hopefully, he will, too.  The bench is 48 x 19-1/4 x 15" H.  It's finished with a coat of Sealcoat shellac followed by Target Coating satin EM-8000CV + CL.  

I cut the finger joints using a piloted mortising bit to follow these templates that I cut on my CNC.

[Image: AM-JKLWH8dnpNhI5FbLU8ZS4ENNQE_9KQZSc9Dga...authuser=1]

They fit so tight that some hand paring was required to loosen them up a little, but it was far easier than cutting them by hand.   

[Image: AM-JKLUjy2vGmUMmLIzdRFbxsGP3cWkKMUwOWLey...authuser=1]

I hope he likes it.  

John
I don't know why he would not like it: Very Nice!
Hey John,

No pics for me. Win 10 and chrome. Never had an issue viewing your pics before

Gary
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(03-15-2022, 06:18 PM)shoottmx Wrote: Hey John,

No pics for me. Win 10 and chrome. Never had an issue viewing your pics before

Gary

Thanks Gary.  I forgot to click "Share" in the Google Photos Options folder.  Should be good now.  

John
That's a very nice bench and the new owner should be proud to own it.
How long did it take you to cut all the joints?
(03-15-2022, 06:22 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Thanks Gary.  I forgot to click "Share" in the Google Photos Options folder.  Should be good now.  

John

Joihn,

You're good to go now, Another outstanding example of your work!

Gary
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(03-15-2022, 11:50 PM)wood-chips Wrote: That's a very nice bench and the new owner should be proud to own it.
How long did it take you to cut all the joints?

Thanks.  I think I spent the better part of 6 hours doing the joints.  Probably an hour with the router on each section, four hours total, and then another 2 hours paring them to fit.  A plunge router with a collet would have sped up the process significantly because I would have been able to use a longer bit and take slightly deeper bites than with the palm router.  And now that I know that the finger joints in solid wood will fit just as tightly as the templates I could cut the templates for a slightly loser fit to greatly reduce/eliminate the amount of paring needed.  It's amazing how much of a difference a couple of thou makes, from won't fit to slides together beautifully.  

The CNC allows you to dial in the fit of the templates.  With proper registration I could even put the templates back on the CNC and adjust the fit as needed.  

John
Nice work! Can't see how anybody wouldn't like that.
That's super nice, and I think the band of sapele adds a bit of elegance.
Semper fi,
Brad

(03-16-2022, 09:11 AM)jteneyck Wrote: It's amazing how much of a difference a couple of thou makes, from won't fit to slides together beautifully.  

John
 I had a knowing grin on my face when I read this.  You did excellent on that joint. I'd thought that I was the only one that had to go back with a second template to loosen up the joints.

Unless you've been there, its hard to communicate what a PIA that joint can be.  I did those joints once a few decades back and swore off of them. That 8/4 red oak was heavy.