Felt Wheel Sources
Turning or probably more of a carving question, looking for sources for a shaped felt wheel for sharpening carving and turning tools. The only one I've found is the Lee Valley one. Any others sources available?
Thanks,
Brian
I got mine from grizzly but got a got a bigger one on Ebay.  I use them both on my lathe at slow speed
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I'll look into them, thanks Arlin
(03-16-2022, 07:41 PM)BC in CT Wrote: I'll look into them, thanks Arlin

Welcome.

The one I got again was a 1.25" thick wheel and not .75 thick
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-15-2022, 06:56 PM)BC in CT Wrote: Turning or probably more of a carving question, looking for sources for a shaped felt wheel for sharpening carving and turning tools.  The only one I've found is the Lee Valley one.  Any others sources available?
Thanks,
Brian

Tons of them for sale on amazon.......
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Interesting.....I’ve been on Amazon, haven’t seen any. Remember I’m looking for a shaped wheel, the are plenty of flat ones mostly of smaller sizes.
(03-19-2022, 12:39 PM)BC in CT Wrote: Interesting.....I’ve been on Amazon, haven’t seen any.  Remember I’m looking for a shaped wheel, the are plenty of flat ones mostly of smaller sizes.
Here's a six inch hard felt wheel on Amazon..I didn't understand what a "shaped" wheel was until I went to Lee valley and saw theirs. If I understand correctly, you want a wheel with a flat "side" and a "U" shaped face for polishing both gouges and straight edge tools..Since this is a "hard" felt wheel you could create your own by chucking in your lathe, spinning it fast and  make the "hollow" with a lathe gouge..But rather than go the felt wheel route, why not polish with a tight stitched  1/2". muslin buffing wheel..That's what I use, altho I do have a couple felt wheels on motor arbors I could use..The muslin will conform to the shape of the tool...

[Image: E3-E7-FAFC-3-C3-F-4-D68-BB1-A-E3-A1-E1950275.png]

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Tormek makes shaped leather honing wheels. Not sure if they only fit a Tormek or if they can be adapted to fit on a standard grinder. It would be a simple task to laminate leather, then profile them to suit your honing needs.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(03-22-2022, 09:00 AM)AHill Wrote: Tormek makes shaped leather honing wheels.  Not sure if they only fit a Tormek or if they can be adapted to fit on a standard grinder.  It would be a simple task to laminate leather, then profile them to suit your honing needs.

I have made a couple of small leather wheels {45 and 60*} shaped to strop inside a "V" tool...probably the most difficult carving tool for anyone to get really "sharp"..They fit on my small Bodine motor with a tapered screw arbor and make a huge difference in the tools cutting ability. I was lucky enough to snag a few small pieces of 1/4" thick horse-hide saddle leather, but most any leather can be laminated to get the thickness needed.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(03-23-2022, 09:35 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ....................
I have made a couple of small leather wheels {45 and 60*} shaped to strop inside a "V" tool...probably the most difficult carving tool for anyone to get really "sharp"..They fit on my small Bodine motor with a tapered screw arbor and make a huge difference in the tools cutting ability. I was lucky enough to snag a few small pieces of 1/4" thick horse-hide saddle leather, but most any leather can be laminated to get the thickness needed.

How about tradition? https://www.schaaftools.com/blogs/news/h...g-tutorial Shows concave, but works convex too.

Or, other inspiration https://www.marymaycarving.com/carvingsc...ping-tool/

I use ceramic slips for any burr, and a white pine contoured (now chromium green) hone for polish.

Felt is for polishing the "bevel".
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.