Good Shop Vac Upgrade?
Hi all,

I'm looking to get better dust collection from what I have now. I currently use a Rigid 16 gallon wet dry vac with a Oneida dust deputy. It does OK but I want something better. I was looking at the Oneida mini gorilla but I don't want to spend that much and space in my garage is very limited. Oneida makes a 10 gallon dust deputy deluxe which looks nice and has added capacity. Is there a better vac other than the Rigid with better CFM? I plan to build an upright cart to house this with the vac on the bottom and the dust deputy on top. 

My needs include using a Dewalt 735 planer, a Grizzly hybrid TS, miter saw, sanders and general cleaning.

I'm spoiled as I had a 3HP Oneida Dust Gorilla system fully plumbed in my shop up north. 

Thanks

Mike
Honestly, no shop vac has the cfm to service the tools you mention.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Mike, there was a review of HEPA shopvacs in a recent FWW.  The best will move about 150 cfm with or w/o the HEPA filter.  That's plenty for a miter saw, etc. but not nearly enough for a TS, planer, nor likely even a jointer.  You are going to need the mini Gorilla system to get enough airflow.  But the Supercell system might fit your needs even better because it has the flow you need for your TS, etc. but also the suction needed to be a good vacuum cleaner.  It's only money.  

As far as shopvacs go, I'm looking at the Fein Turbo plus Dust Deputy for my CNC.  It's only 70 db and has plenty of flow for that application.  And it reportedly can run for hours w/o issue.  Way different than your needs though.  

Good luck.

John
(03-16-2022, 02:08 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Mike, there was a review of HEPA shopvacs in a recent FWW.  The best will move about 150 cfm with or w/o the HEPA filter.  That's plenty for a miter saw, etc. but not nearly enough for a TS, planer, nor likely even a jointer.  You are going to need the mini Gorilla system to get enough airflow.  But the Supercell system might fit your needs even better because it has the flow you need for your TS, etc. but also the suction needed to be a good vacuum cleaner.  It's only money.  

As far as shopvacs go, I'm looking at the Fein Turbo plus Dust Deputy for my CNC.  It's only 70 db and has plenty of flow for that application.  And it reportedly can run for hours w/o issue.  Way different than your needs though.  

Good luck.

John

The Rigid works well with the Dewalt 735 because its fan assisted. The big issue is the dust deputy empties into a 5 gallon bucket. When I plane wood it fills it in 5 minutes. It's fair on the tablesaw. It keeps the dust from coming up and it stays below. I know its not a perfect solution but I don't know how many more years I will be doing woodworking and spending $1,800 for a mini gorilla is not happening. I will check out the Fein to see what they have. 

Thanks

Mike
(03-16-2022, 04:33 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: The Rigid works well with the Dewalt 735 because its fan assisted. The big issue is the dust deputy empties into a 5 gallon bucket. When I plane wood it fills it in 5 minutes. It's fair on the tablesaw. It keeps the dust from coming up and it stays below. I know its not a perfect solution but I don't know how many more years I will be doing woodworking and spending $1,800 for a mini gorilla is not happening. I will check out the Fein to see what they have. 

Thanks

Mike

OK, then just mount your Dust Deputy on top of 15 or 20 gal drum?  Something like this maybe:  Link

John
I have a small cyclone similar to the dust deputy mounted above a 20 gal galvanized steel trashcan, connected to one of the larger Ridgid vacuums.  I have several plywood reinforcing rings around the can, needed to prevent its being squished flat under vacuum.  The cyclone is mounted overhead, with a 2 1/2" PVC pipe to allow dust to fall into the trashcan below.  Rather than move the vacuum around, I plumbed the shop with 2 1/2" PVC with switches all over connected to a relay to turn it on and shopmade blast gates so I can use a hose anywhere.

I don't ask mine to do too much beyond general cleanup, since the shop is also plumbed with 6" pipe for the DC, so many tools have vacuum collection (tablesaw blade guard and router table fence) and DC collection (below) simultaneously.
(03-16-2022, 01:57 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: Hi all,

I'm looking to get better dust collection from what I have now. I currently use a Rigid 16 gallon wet dry vac with a Oneida dust deputy. It does OK but I want something better. I was looking at the Oneida mini gorilla but I don't want to spend that much and space in my garage is very limited. Oneida makes a 10 gallon dust deputy deluxe which looks nice and has added capacity. Is there a better vac other than the Rigid with better CFM? I plan to build an upright cart to house this with the vac on the bottom and the dust deputy on top. 

My needs include using a Dewalt 735 planer, a Grizzly hybrid TS, miter saw, sanders and general cleaning.

I'm spoiled as I had a 3HP Oneida Dust Gorilla system fully plumbed in my shop up north. 

Thanks

Mike

DeWalt...here's why....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSN7PXwn1yU
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(03-17-2022, 06:57 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: DeWalt...here's why....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSN7PXwn1yU

A recent FWW review of HEPA rated shop vacs scored the Dewalt lowest in suction, by far.  Performance often is model specific so be sure of what you are buying.  

John
(03-18-2022, 02:08 PM)jteneyck Wrote: A recent FWW review of HEPA rated shop vacs scored the Dewalt lowest in suction, by far.  Performance often is model specific so be sure of what you are buying.  

John

Dewalt has a pretty good reputation for dependability, if that's important.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(03-18-2022, 09:42 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: .................
Dewalt has a pretty good reputation for dependability, if that's important.

It is to me.  

For really long duty cycles I'd go with Fein.  Supposedly you can run them for hours straight w/o issue.  I may be needing one with my CNC since some of the files take 10+ hours to run.  So far, my old Sears shop vac is doing OK, but I expect it will give up in a few months of hard use.  

John