Installed a new front storm door.
Has a pull down screen. Put on on the back door and like it. One hand, easy pull down/push up to use/store. Make is Anderson. Good quality, everything fits, instructions are crap.

The back door model is half glass/half aluminum. The front door is full glass, half screen.

The kit included a spade bit for the latch/lock assembly and a twist bit for screw/starter holes. The spade bit worked great, the twist bit(1/8" or so) did not get more deep than a score before dulling and smoking.
No

Took about 2 hours---a quarter of which was confirming my idea of what to do next with horribly constructed instructions.

Had replaced the front entry door in 2008 when we bought remodeled the house. Still so tight the new storm will not close all the way when the entry is closed. May try to modify the sweep to let air out more easily as it closes.
I had installed one of those with a pull down screen (Larson) and honestly didn't know such doors existed. While I like the convenience, I can't help but wonder what I'll do if/when the screen gets damaged. I guess worse case would be to replace the whole door, or don't use the screen part. Another one I didn't know existed is a storm door with a built in pet door (also Larson). My wife found it when we were debating how to put a pet door in the back. There's no screen on this one, just a full glass panel with the pet door ready to go. They (Larson) must have got directions from Anderson on how to write instructions, since they were not that clear on a few points. I needed the pet door to be left handed, and it came ready for right handed installation. Changing it to left hand swing wasn't the problem, figuring out how to reveres the glass was.....and the directions really didn't give you a clue.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
If any of you are putting storm doors over a wood door that gets any amount of direct sun I strongly advise you to vent the storm door.  Better still is to buy a vented storm door.  Even better still is to also install 3M tinted window film on the storm door glass to cut the heat gain and UV.  

If it's not vented it doesn't take much sun to cook the wood door the storm door is meant to protect, which can easily cause cracked panels and joints to pull apart.  Doors painted dark colors will suffer the most.  I learned this one the hard way.   

John
(03-17-2022, 12:05 PM)jteneyck Wrote: If any of you are putting storm doors over a wood door that gets any amount of direct sun I strongly advise you to vent the storm door.  Better still is to buy a vented storm door.  Even better still is to also install 3M tinted window film on the storm door glass to cut the heat gain and UV.  

If it's not vented it doesn't take much sun to cook the wood door the storm door is meant to protect, which can easily cause cracked panels and joints to pull apart.  Doors painted dark colors will suffer the most.  I learned this one the hard way.   

John

+1

A full glass storm door over a metal door with plastic trim around the glass will void the warranty. years ago Emco or Larson made a full glass storm door with vents at the top and bottom so atural convection would keep the air moving but I haven't seen them in years.

It's not so bad with no afternoon shade on the door or a north facing door. It's really the direct sunlight that bakes them.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Use to have a Forever door on the front door and loved it. I like to open front door and back patio door to get cross ventallation in spring and fall. Last year I had a Provia door put on. A bit pricey but same features and well built. Money well spent. Comes with lifetime warrenty.
John T.
(03-17-2022, 06:35 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: +1

A full glass storm door over a metal door with plastic trim around the glass will void the warranty. years ago Emco or Larson made a full glass storm door with vents at the top and bottom so atural convection would keep the air moving but I haven't seen them in years.

It's not so bad with no afternoon shade on the door or a north facing door. It's really the direct sunlight that bakes them.

No one believes it can get hot enough between the doors to melt plastic but I've seen it - in Buffalo, NY no less.  It can easily get to almost 200F in there and that's enough for plastic trim to soften and deform.   It's also more than enough for TB III to let go, one reason I don't use it for exterior doors.    

The door I was dealing with was unvented and the owner insisted it remain, so I removed the bottom seal and drilled holes up through the bottom rail.  Then I bored 3/4" holes on the inside face of the rail to intersect the holes coming up from the bottom.  I plugged the holes with little air vent inserts.  That allowed air in from the bottom.  I repeated the same procedure at the top to allow the air to escape.  It's been about 4 years now and the beautiful wood door I made and had to repair before the vents were added is still beautiful.  

John
(03-17-2022, 07:31 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I had installed one of those with a pull down screen (Larson) and honestly didn't know such doors existed. While I like the convenience, I can't help but wonder what I'll do if/when the screen gets damaged. I guess worse case would be to replace the whole door, or don't use the screen part. Another one I didn't know existed is a storm door with a built in pet door (also Larson). My wife found it when we were debating how to put a pet door in the back. There's no screen on this one, just a full glass panel with the pet door ready to go. They (Larson) must have got directions from Anderson on how to write instructions, since they were not that clear on a few points. I needed the pet door to be left handed, and it came ready for right handed installation. Changing it to left hand swing wasn't the problem, figuring out how to reveres the glass was.....and the directions really didn't give you a clue.

I have two larson storm doors with the "pull down screen".  You can get replacements from larson, but I think I may have gotten them from Menards.  My originals lasted maybe 8 years, but they get a nasty sun in the afternoon.  It's pretty much a two person job to replace one.
(03-18-2022, 08:32 PM)toolmiser Wrote: I have two larson storm doors with the "pull down screen".  You can get replacements from larson, but I think I may have gotten them from Menards.  My originals lasted maybe 8 years, but they get a nasty sun in the afternoon.  It's pretty much a two person job to replace one.

Thanks for that, my doors came from Menards as well.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.