sparky question re: LED lighting transformers and switches
Thinking about switches for inside cabinets to toggle when a drawer is opened/closed to turn on/off LED strip lighting.  

If the lighting transformer outputs 24v or 48v DC, is there any reason I can't use a micro switch like this, that's rated for 250v AC?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MFRMFS6/?co..._lig_dp_it

thanks!
(03-18-2022, 12:48 PM)mound Wrote: Thinking about switches for inside cabinets to toggle when a drawer is opened/closed to turn on/off LED strip lighting.  

If the lighting transformer outputs 24v or 48v DC, is there any reason I can't use a micro switch like this, that's rated for 250v AC?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MFRMFS6/?co..._lig_dp_it

thanks!

The DC amperage rating will be way less that the AC amperage rating probably in the 0.6 A DC for the 24-48 volt lighting  xformer.  Check the rating of the strip lights.   Roly
(03-18-2022, 02:25 PM)Roly Wrote: The DC amperage rating will be way less that the AC amperage rating probably in the 0.6 A DC for the 24-48 volt lighting  xformer.  Check the rating of the strip lights.   Roly

Thanks Roly. And assuming it is, switches rated like this would not be problematic, correct?  Such switches could be used for much higher amperage/250v applications, but would still work for this lower voltage/lower amperage lighting?
(03-18-2022, 02:35 PM)mound Wrote: Thanks Roly. And assuming it is, switches rated like this would not be problematic, correct?  Such switches could be used for much higher amperage/250v applications, but would still work for this lower voltage/lower amperage lighting?
The DC voltage is more of a problem to break the circuit not so much the ability to carry it.    What is the DC rating of the switch ?  it will be a lot less as the DC will elongate the arc and not break it as it is a steady voltage, not like AC which cycles through zero twice a second on 60 cycle ac which breaks the arc.   Roly
(03-18-2022, 03:45 PM)Roly Wrote: The DC voltage is more of a problem to break the circuit not so much the ability to carry it.    What is the DC rating of the switch ?  it will be a lot less as the DC will elongate the arc and not break it as it is a steady voltage, not like AC which cycles through zero twice a second on 60 cycle ac which breaks the arc.   Roly

The switch (amazon link) doesn't list a DC rating, only AC 250V 5A

The LED power supply specs look like this:

I'm not committed to that particular switch, just looking for something of that basic form factor that's appropriate for the the LED strips
It looks like that driver's rated output current is 2Ax3 (2A max per output, with 3 separate outputs). The switch you are looking at looks like it is rated at 250VAC@5A (that's RMS). So, that switch should be fine for 48VDC@2A. I wouldn't connect more than one strip to a single switch. I'm assuming you picked the driver knowing that it is rated to drive the LED strips you are using without overloading the driver.
>
Worse than ignorance is the illusion of knowledge.
>
The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim. - Gustave Le Bon

(03-18-2022, 05:50 PM)dav Wrote: It looks like that driver's rated output current is 2Ax3 (2A max per output, with 3 separate outputs). The switch you are looking at looks like it is rated at 250VAC@5A (that's RMS). So, that switch should be fine for 48VDC@2A. I wouldn't connect more than one strip to a single switch. I'm assuming you picked the driver knowing that it is rated to drive the LED strips you are using without overloading the driver.

Look at other micro switches that have a DC voltage rating.    What is rated 15 Amps at 120v AC is rated 0.6 amp at 48 volts DC.   This is the difference I am talking about.    Roly
(03-18-2022, 06:47 PM)Roly Wrote: Look at other micro switches that have a DC voltage rating.    What is rated 15 Amps at 120v AC is rated 0.6 amp at 48 volts DC.   This is the difference I am talking about.    Roly

Maybe this would be a better choice then:

http://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI...cureDesc=0

Rated work current: 5 A (125 VAC), 3 A (250 VAC)
(03-18-2022, 05:50 PM)dav Wrote: It looks like that driver's rated output current is 2Ax3 (2A max per output, with 3 separate outputs). The switch you are looking at looks like it is rated at 250VAC@5A (that's RMS). So, that switch should be fine for 48VDC@2A. I wouldn't connect more than one strip to a single switch. I'm assuming you picked the driver knowing that it is rated to drive the LED strips you are using without overloading the driver.

Thanks. Yah the supplier of the strips is packaging it up with the power supply they'll need - they picked it for me.
(03-18-2022, 06:47 PM)Roly Wrote: Look at other micro switches that have a DC voltage rating.    What is rated 15 Amps at 120v AC is rated 0.6 amp at 48 volts DC.   This is the difference I am talking about.    Roly

I was looking at it from a power dissipation perspective. Your comments about arcing are valid, too. If he can get a DC rated switch, then that would be preferable.
>
Worse than ignorance is the illusion of knowledge.
>
The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim. - Gustave Le Bon