Disston Hand saw sharpening
(03-19-2022, 09:38 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: I think a lot of guys are finding if you want x-cut, you can live with a pretty high (near 90) rake angle. 

That is very interesting to me.  I am very new to saw filing (still working on my first renovation).  Does this affect the fleam angle?  Does this apply to backsaws too, or just handsaws?  Do you have any resources where I could read more on this type of filing? 

Thank you,
Chuck
It's all wood.
No to your last question. I think maybe guys call this hybrid filing? I recall talking to mike wenzloff about it. No effect on fleam. You can add fleam to a rip saw. You can also cross cut with a rip saw. Some guys just add more rake and choose finer teeth, which is the same as a cross cut saw with 5-10 degrees of rake.

Yes applies to back saws. Think this is one place I’ve seen this. I have rip tenon saws and cross cut tenon saws, but I can see how someone might just want one.

My concern was always that this was a way for guys to justify buying one saw when two were required. But I’ve used some of these saws and like them.
Thank you Adam, I appreciate it.  I have a pile, well piles, of saws to renovate.  I am sure that I will enjoy experimenting with filing at some point.
It's all wood.