Oneida dust collector
I have the opportunity to purchase an Oneida 2hp super dust gorilla that is approximately 15 yrs old and unused for $700. Thoughts on price and quality would be greatly appreciated. I am recently retired, new to this forum and in the early stages of my woodworking hobby. Thanks in advance for any help.
(03-18-2022, 08:02 PM)zekemed Wrote: I have the opportunity to purchase an Oneida 2hp super dust gorilla that is approximately 15 yrs old and unused for $700. Thoughts on price and quality would be greatly appreciated. I am recently retired, new to this forum and in the early stages of my woodworking hobby. Thanks in advance for any help.

That's the one I have. I've had it for years, 3 shops, still pulls hard and does everything I need it to. I don't know what used pricing looks like, but I don't see many of them coming up for sale. For me, if I were starting out, it would be an easy choice. I'd grab it.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I had that model for several years. It's built like a tank, and mine had the metal transition/elbow from the cyclone to the filter, the later models started using some kind of plastic I think. It also has a Baldor motor. I eventually had to replace the filter, mine got to the point where it couldn't be cleaned anymore. Should yours need a filter, here's a suggestion: buy this one instead of the OEM. It's out of stock, but they'll get more in. The OSI filter is just as tight as the Oneida, a lot less expensive (last time I checked) and has more media. It's close to be a plug and play, I think the foam noise suppressor doesn't fit quite right but it still works. I sold mine when i bought a CV, and I had that filter mounted on it as well as a spare.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(03-19-2022, 05:40 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I had that model for several years. It's built like a tank, and mine had the metal transition/elbow from the cyclone to the filter, the later models started using some kind of plastic I think. It also has a Baldor motor. I eventually had to replace the filter, mine got to the point where it couldn't be cleaned anymore. Should yours need a filter, here's a suggestion: buy this one instead of the OEM. It's out of stock, but they'll get more in. The OSI filter is just as tight as the Oneida, a lot less expensive (last time I checked) and has more media. It's close to be a plug and play, I think the foam noise suppressor doesn't fit quite right but it still works. I sold mine when i bought a CV, and I had that filter mounted on it as well as a spare.

Thank you
Great dust collector, that's what I've got. Had it for years, love it (although it's rather noisy but that's to be expected) I some time back got a good deal on 4 filters that fit the collector just fine. I've extended the threaded rod holding the filter so that I've got two filters mounted end-to-end rather than a single filter.  A trick I've found that works rather well for cleaning is to stand the filter  on a piece of plywood and then use a blunt rod on a pneumatic hammer to vibrate the plywood, it shakes a lot of dust off the filter. I keep telling myself I should make a contraption to hold the filter and vibrate it while I use a high-volume blower to suck air through the filter material at the same time. This of course would be done outside, and wear a dust mask while doing it. The $700 you paid for it was a good deal, sure a lot less than I paid for mine.
That's an absolute steal at that price.
Lots of good advice above ^^^

Oneida used to be THE name in dust collectors. They earned that.

Since you are new to dust collection, I will point out that the distribution pipe layout can be a major factor in how well the dust collection works.

You want to avoid any bends in the pipe tighter than ~45* and you want to use smooth-wall pipe/tubes for runs and wherever possible.

Other WNers have posted their draft shop layouts including the distribution systems for dust collection, compressed air, and electrical. Some greatly benefited from those discussions.

Also, welcome to Woodnet.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(03-19-2022, 07:15 PM)thewalnutguy Wrote: Great dust collector, that's what I've got. Had it for years, love it (although it's rather noisy but that's to be expected) I some time back got a good deal on 4 filters that fit the collector just fine. I've extended the threaded rod holding the filter so that I've got two filters mounted end-to-end rather than a single filter.  A trick I've found that works rather well for cleaning is to stand the filter  on a piece of plywood and then use a blunt rod on a pneumatic hammer to vibrate the plywood, it shakes a lot of dust off the filter. I keep telling myself I should make a contraption to hold the filter and vibrate it while I use a high-volume blower to suck air through the filter material at the same time. This of course would be done outside, and wear a dust mask while doing it. The $700 you paid for it was a good deal, sure a lot less than I paid for mine.

Thank you
(03-25-2022, 04:01 PM)iclark Wrote: Lots of good advice above ^^^

Oneida used to be THE name in dust collectors. They earned that.

Since you are new to dust collection, I will point out that the distribution pipe layout can be a major factor in how well the dust collection works.

You want to avoid any bends in the pipe tighter than ~45* and you want to use smooth-wall pipe/tubes for runs and wherever possible.

Other WNers have posted their draft shop layouts including the distribution systems for dust collection, compressed air, and electrical. Some greatly benefited from those discussions.

Also, welcome to Woodnet.

Thanks for the advice
I don’t think you’ll do any better at $700, no tax or shipping. My 2 HP Shop Fox with a Wynn filter does quite well on a single flex hose run. The Oneida will be even better.