Router Bits
(03-19-2022, 10:36 PM)Tapper Wrote: Thanks to all for your comments. John, looks like that 3/8" bit requires a 3/8" collet, correct? I seem to have 1/4" and 1/2" collets; no 3/8" in the inventory.

Thanks,

Doug

You can get a 3/8" with 1/2"  shank, Whiteside RU4900.  Being these are made from a solid carbide rod the larger the shank the more expensive they will be.  Folks running CNC machines tend to use the shank diameter that matches the cutting diameter to keep costs down.  Most hobby woodworkers buy the 1/2" shank version because as you mentioned that's the collet they have.
I have a 1/2 to 3/8 collet adapter sleeve that I use for hand routing. Works fine and have not had a problem with slipping or vibration. I might hesitate to use this in a CNC router as the run time is so much longer and I would wonder if it cold slip as things heat up.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
I have a 3/8 collet that fits a Porter Cable 890 router. I think it fits the 7518 or big dog also.

Tom
(03-24-2022, 05:20 AM)KyleD Wrote: I have a 1/2 to 3/8 collet adapter sleeve that I use for hand routing. Works fine and have not had a problem with slipping or vibration. I might hesitate to use this in a CNC router as the run time is so much longer and I would wonder if it cold slip as things heat up.
the collet should not heat up if you are running the correct speeds and feeds.  The chips should be hot not the bit
(03-24-2022, 05:47 PM)fixtureman Wrote: the collet should not heat up if you are running the correct speeds and feeds.  The chips should be hot not the bit

Your point is well taken, but the whole router will heat up with time.  Not all of the energy goes into turning the armature, a bunch of it turns to heat.  The fan takes away some of it, but not all, so expansion/contraction issues are valid.  I've never had an adapter loosen, but fewer parts is always better.  

John