Router Bits
In the past I've accumulated several sets of router bits. Used them mostly for edge jointing; various profiles and some straight bits for patterns and other tasks. Some with bearings and some without. I'll be doing some mortising with my router and will be purchasing a couple of spiral upcut carbide router bits. I'm thinking two flute with 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" cutting depth. 

Whiteside, CMT and MLCS (the low-cost option) as well as others are options. I've purchased MLCS in the past with no discernible problems or noticeable lack of performance.

While I know Whiteside is pretty much a "can't miss" they're also normally the most expensive option. Anybody have a good experience with other carbide spiral upcut bits not named Whiteside?

Thanks,

Doug
(03-18-2022, 10:47 PM)Tapper Wrote: In the past I've accumulated several sets of router bits. Used them mostly for edge jointing; various profiles and some straight bits for patterns and other tasks. Some with bearings and some without. I'll be doing some mortising with my router and will be purchasing a couple of spiral upcut carbide router bits. I'm thinking two flute with 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" cutting depth. 

Whiteside, CMT and MLCS (the low-cost option) as well as others are options. I've purchased MLCS in the past with no discernible problems or noticeable lack of performance.

While I know Whiteside is pretty much a "can't miss" they're also normally the most expensive option. Anybody have a good experience with other carbide spiral upcut bits not named Whiteside?

Thanks,

Doug

Yes. Kodiak Cutters 

I've had good luck with their 2-flute carbide end mills as router bits. I even bought some with radiused corners, a feature I wasn't able to find from Whiteside, Freud, or any of those sources.

EDIT: I don't know if they sell any with cutter lengths as long as you need
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I've had no problems with Whiteside or CMT.  If HomeDepot has the right Freud I've been happy with them... but given enough lead time I'll order from Infinity.
I have a couple MLCS carbide spiral upcut bits. They work well for me.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Bits from quality manufacturers last a long time.  I've always used Whiteside spiral upcut bits in my HRM.  These are the specific bits I use, in case anyone has an HRM:

1/4" = RU2100

/8" = RU4125

1/2" = RU5200

I have cut hundreds and hundreds of mortises with them before they get dull.  

Whiteside are made in USA.  

John
(03-19-2022, 02:30 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Bits from quality manufacturers last a long time.  I've always used Whiteside spiral upcut bits in my HRM.  These are the specific bits I use, in case anyone has an HRM:

1/4" = RU2100

/8" = RU4125

1/2" = RU5200

I have cut hundreds and hundreds of mortises with them before they get dull.  

Whiteside are made in USA.  

John

Thanks to all for your comments. John, looks like that 3/8" bit requires a 3/8" collet, correct? I seem to have 1/4" and 1/2" collets; no 3/8" in the inventory.

Thanks,

Doug
I have a Grizzly 1/2" solid carbide spiral upsweep router bit that that 2" long flutes with the bottom of the bit shaped for drilling/boring that I've used a few times and it's worked just fine for me in oak etc.  I used it in a plunge router and was initially bought for a particular job.  It's got C1699 on the sleeve, so I assume that's the part number.  I've had it for a number of years and it's holding up just fine for me.
It's also marked USA so that may make a difference to someone.
Most all of my router bits are from Freud.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
My local tool store carried CMT for a long time and I have a bunch of them. They have performed well fior me, including the carbide spiral bits. My supplier switched to Freud and I have some of them too, but I like the CMTs better. I can't put my finger on why. It seems like the CMT's are sharper and cut a crisper profile, but that may be just my imagination. If you have the money and the time, you can't beat Whiteside. They are head and shoulders above the rest, in my opinion.
(03-19-2022, 10:36 PM)Tapper Wrote: Thanks to all for your comments. John, looks like that 3/8" bit requires a 3/8" collet, correct? I seem to have 1/4" and 1/2" collets; no 3/8" in the inventory.

Thanks,

Doug

Oh, you're right about the 3/8" bit.  I got the wrong one.  I actually use the RU4900.  It's the same except it has a 1/2" shank, which avoids having to buy an adapter. Sorry for the confusion.

John