questions on slab for shed
i am going to be building a 12' by 16' shed for my niece in may. thinking about the slab, which will be concrete. main concern? she has an 8' by 8' wood shed with wood floor that the #*& woodchucks have been digging under and the shed now has a nice lean to it. im wondering if i should put a ratwall around the perimeter to deter them buggers from digging under the slab and if so, how deep i should go. 

im also wondering if i should add some reinforcement in the slab.

concrete work isnt something ive done much of so could use some advise here.
In my experience it is not necessarily the depth, but how far out it goes. They start digging where grade meets the wall. If they can't go down, they move sideways. 

Yes to reinforcement, and air entrained concrete if subjected to freeze thaw conditions. Just tell the dispatcher at the plant what you're doing and they'll recommend the right mix. Fiberglass reinforced works but it's tougher for a DIY to get a good finish. I would do a 4-5" slab with thickened edges (Google "monolithic slab") with 6" x 6" mesh or 12" grid of #3 re-bar 1-1/2" - 2" from the bottom. If you use mesh, it's also good insurance to tie 2' lengths of re-bar to it spaced every foot where the control joints will be cut.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Around my chicken coop I buried chicken wire about 12" deep to keep the varmints out. It has been 6 years now and nothing has dug under the coop. I had a small slab poured last year, 12' x 14'. The concrete finisher told me to have the plant to add stainless steel shards to the mix. He said he does not use wire mesh in the concrete with the SS pieces any more. I tried to break up a thin piece of the concrete with the SS in it. It was quite difficult to break with a sledge hammer. You can not see the pieces if SS once it is finished, I had a broomed finish and still could not see any SS pieces.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(03-19-2022, 08:29 AM)tomsteve Wrote: ....
concrete work isnt something ive done much of so could use some advise here.

12x16 is not a huge project, but anything concrete deserves having a few friends over.  My uncle was a brick and concrete man.  When helping him as a kid he told me working concrete was a leisure activity; if you were working up a sweat you don’t have enough people.
Wire mesh in the slab....freeze/thaw cycles will break a fibermesh pour in short order.

Flatwork guys like any reinforcment that can be mixed in....that way they don't have to mess with it.

Ed
I have a wood shed on a slab. The knucklehead who poured the slab and built the shed left the slab surface too close to grade. One end has actually settled below grade. Hoping to fix this next spring. The wood (pressure treated) is rotten and molded. The plan is to leave the slab. Jack up the shed about a foot (10x14) and lay 8" block around the slab perimeter. Cut 8" off the bottom of the shed and nail on a new sill plate and set the shed back down on the block. Generally, the rule of thumb is to have the sill plate, sheathing and siding at least 6 inches above grade.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(03-19-2022, 03:45 PM)EdL Wrote: Wire mesh in the slab....freeze/thaw cycles will break a fibermesh pour in short order.

Flatwork guys like any reinforcment that can be mixed in....that way they don't have to mess with it.

Ed

Our concrete company poured their drive using fiber mesh about 30 years ago and it still is holding up.  This is in northern Ohio
For a slab that size I question if the steel mesh is necessary. If you are in an area where freeze/thaw is a problem, then maybe. However, there are a couple of things you need to know if you decide to add it to the slab. First, steel mesh is not for strength but for temperature/shrinkage crack control. Steel reinforcing for strength would be much more extensive and expensive and you don't need it. As such, the steel mesh needs to be as close to the center of the slab as possible. Probably the best way to do that is to use some bricks or something similar to block it up off of the ground before you do the pour. You can also do it by pouring the slab half way up, lay the mesh on top of what you poured, and then pour the rest. By doing it this way you risk having the two pours not properly bond and you end up with a weak slab. If you can, get the mesh in flat sheets. If it arrives in rolls, it is very difficult to get it to lie flat and you risk it popping up to the surface. If you hire someone to pour the slab, you need to have that understanding ahead of time and watch them very closely while they are doing it. Don't ask me how I know.
I would be inclined to ask a local engineer or reputable contractor if the steel is even needed.
If I were pouring the slab,I'd be more concerned about the underside than a mesh. A good tamped down pit in undisturbed soil with a rubble bed. Good sized, crushed aggregate. Not round stone. If you do a mesh, use large flat "remesh" sheets in the concrete isle. It's cheap and a lot easier to deal with than the rolled. But like said above... you really probably don't need mesh or rebar for a shed assuming it's on a good bed of rubble. If you do use mesh, you can use plastic Rebar Chairs to hold up your mesh. You don't really want to use anything metal exposed or touching the soil because metal will rust, swell and crack the concrete.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(03-20-2022, 08:39 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote:  A good tamped down pit in undisturbed soil with a rubble bed. Good sized, crushed aggregate. Not round stone. If you do a mesh, use large flat "remesh" sheets in the concrete isle. It's cheap and a lot easier to deal with than the rolled. But like said above... you really probably don't need mesh or rebar for a shed assuming it's on a good bed of rubble. If you do use mesh, you can use plastic Rebar Chairs to hold up your mesh. You don't really want to use anything metal exposed or touching the soil because metal will rust, swell and crack the concrete.

i was out lookin at the spot the shed is going yesterday. since we have 1- woodchucks that dug under the shed, and 2- moles that have trenched everywhere, i have some leveling and packing to do.thinking of leveling out, packing the soil, then raise elevation with crushed limestone or ??