Table top joinery questions...
Back into woodworking after a lengthy haitus...I found a couple of walnut boards from the same log, that are approximately 11 x 42 after cleaning up. I would like to use them book matched as a small desk top for me. I would like to frame the walnut with 4 inch pieces of curly maple on all four sides. Lengthwise joinery is simple (even for me), but what is the best (and easiest) way to join the end pieces that will be opposite grain orientation.
I have made several similar rable tops by reducing the walnut to 1/4 inch and gluing to a piece of 1/2 inch plywood...if possible I would prefer lo leave the top solid hardwood....
Any suggestions for a novice would be appreciated....
Thank you in advance.
The best thing that will likely work for you is breadboard ends. You should be able to find lots of videos/articles on how to do them, but feel free to ask for advise and clarifying questions here.

(For what is worth, I'm not an expert on breadboard ends)

Tyler
I assume the maple "frame" will lie flat and be the same thickness as the walnut. If that is true, then I agree with Onestaple, the bread board end is probably the best method. If the maple "frame" pieces will be edge up, then you may have some different alternatives. Either way will allow for cross grain expansion/contraction of the walnut. Congratulations on knowing that something different is needed.
(03-19-2022, 04:20 PM)Maik Wrote: Back into woodworking after a lengthy haitus...I found a couple of walnut boards from the same log, that are approximately 11 x 42 after cleaning up. I would like to use them book matched as a small desk top for me. I would like to frame the walnut with 4 inch pieces of curly maple on all four sides. Lengthwise joinery is simple (even for me), but what is the best (and easiest) way to join the end pieces that will be opposite grain orientation.
I have made several similar rable tops by reducing the walnut to 1/4 inch and gluing to a piece of 1/2 inch plywood...if possible I would prefer lo leave the top solid hardwood....
Any suggestions for a novice would be appreciated....
Thank you in advance.

Great to see you back !!!

For the top of this sofa table, I used 4/4 oak, and glued another 4/4 x about 1" strip along each long edge,
and 4/4 cross grain strips (x1") at both ends.

Then, I breadboard edged with glued up strips on each end.

The look I wanted to achieve was that of a slab top.... Hope that helps.

Oh, and the legs are glued up 4/4 stock as well.

On all glue ups, I paid close attention to the grains so they looked full thickness.

Attached Files Image(s)

[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
(03-20-2022, 12:29 PM)barnowl Wrote: For the top of this sofa table, I used 4/4 oak, and glued another 4/4 x about 1" strip along each long edge,

Would you explain further please. Are these true bread board ends or are they glued to the end grain? A sketch would help.
(03-20-2022, 12:29 PM)barnowl Wrote: Great to see you back !!!

For the top of this sofa table, I used 4/4 oak, and glued another 4/4 x about 1" strip along each long edge,

The look I wanted to achieve was that of a slab top.... Hope that helps.

Oh, and the legs are glued up 4/4 stock as well.

On all glue ups, I paid close attention to the grains so they looked full thickness.
Thanks for the responses....its good to be back to woodworking...I forgot just how therapeutic it is. I assumed a breadboard end would work, but I did not know if there were any alternatives...in the meantime, I found an amazing slab of figured cherry at the bottom of a woodpile...its 11 feet long and 16 inches wide. I think I will use that for my desk top instead of the walnut.
(03-20-2022, 04:31 PM)Willyou Wrote: Would you explain further please. Are these true bread board ends or are they glued to the end grain? A sketch would help.

They're real.

Here's better than a sketch. Here's a view of the underside of one end, and shows the side build up, as well as the end build up,

and breadboard edge. Hope that helps.

Attached Files Image(s)

Well done. Can you tell us what the blocks between the breadboard and the legs are for? I'm guessing they are glued to the underside of the table and have the tongues for the breadboard end.
(03-21-2022, 01:46 PM)Willyou Wrote: Well done. Can you tell us what the blocks between the breadboard and the legs are for? I'm guessing they are glued to the underside of the table and have the tongues for the breadboard end.

Thanks. You guessed right.

I needed full thickness, and once glued up, treated as a single plank, and cut the breadboard joinery from there.