SawStop question -- 1.75 vs 3 hp
Quote:I'm sure glad I went with less horsepower.

.............................said no man, ever
No
(03-25-2022, 03:13 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Quote:

I'm sure glad I went with less horsepower.

.............................said no man, ever
No

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!

Doug
Last year I replaced my Powermatic 64 contractor saw with a 52" fence system.

I got a 3hp SawStop PCS with the 36" fence system. I'm very, very happy my 3hp and also the 36" fence system. For me, the upgrade in power and the decrease in table length were the right choices. 

(If you do buy a SawStop, consider joining the SawStop user group on Facebook. It's very informative and I've discovered a few after market accessories that I've since purchased).
Your 3HP configuration is a sweet spot for any serious woodworker.

Simon
(03-21-2022, 02:16 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Urban legend.  There is no difference in power for the same motor whether wired at 120 or 240 V as long as the wiring can handle the amps required.  

John

People are more likely to have additional things in addition to a 120 volt saw. "hmmm, I need a place to plug this light in. There's an empty outlet right beside the saw's plug. There ya go." Or the saw outlet is shared with a kitchen circuit or something like that. That's less likely with a 240 volt circuit.
WT, did you conclude anything about which saw (motor, actually) you'll be looking to get? I'm always curious about how these things turn out.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(04-02-2022, 05:30 AM)fredhargis Wrote: WT, did you conclude anything about which saw (motor, actually) you'll be looking to get? I'm always curious about how these things turn out.

No firm decision yet, but the comments have made the 3hp the probable pick.

Can't do anything yet, still working on getting all the paperwork straight, family wants me to make trip to Texas, friend needs me to find some ash for him and make run to Wisconsin when I get back, etc etc. 

Making progress but still moving slow.
Rolleyes
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I’d buy the 3 Hp if you can afford it—especially if not at a downsizing moment in woodworking or life. I had a 1.75 hp General International in the early 2000’s and it was a great contractors saw. Came across a PM66, 3 hp a few years later. Very noticeable difference in not only power but mass and less vibration. There’s really no slowing down the PM but the GI would loose a little speed at times. Only cry once is my stance on the TS. It’s the heart of most shops.

Prices are going up in May, according to a sales rep I spoke to over the weekend. Whether it's 3Hp or 1.75Hp, I think a quick decision within the month is recommended.

Based on the info the sales gave me, for my saw (under 10 years old), I'd have paid $800 more to get the same saw after May.

Simon
(04-06-2022, 02:19 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Prices are going up in May, according to a sales rep I spoke to over the weekend. Whether it's 3Hp or 1.75Hp, I think a quick decision within the month is recommended.

Based on the info the sales gave me, for my saw (under 10 years old), I'd have paid $800 more to get the same saw after May.

Simon

Thanks.  May have to make my mind up soon!
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)