Epoxy
Hi all,

I just learned how to use epoxy to make some incredible colors and designs. What do you use and where do you buy it? What type of dyes are best? They used a soap dye in the class. 

Thanks,

Mike
Check out "Blacktail Studio" on Youtube.  He does some epoxy tables and include links in his descriptions.

I should say "some incredible epoxy tables"!
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Woodcraft by me carries epoxy systems with the pigmented powders and colors. It's not cheap but you can make some neat things with it.
(03-22-2022, 09:11 AM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Check out "Blacktail Studio" on Youtube.  He does some epoxy tables and include links in his descriptions.

I should say "some incredible epoxy tables"!

I watched a couple of his video's. He's honest about what he does and talks through his mistakes. He makes some awesome stuff.
I've colored/tinted epoxy with a number of things.

- I used acrylic craft paints in small amounts to color batches of epoxy.  It works, but you have to be very careful about the amount you use for coloring.  Too much paint, and the epoxy won't cure.  I only did it this way because I didn't know yet about the other colorants.  On the plus side, if you're looking for "just the right shade" you can mix your paint colors together before combining with epoxy.  

- I've used ground coffee beans to make various shades of brown.

- My favorite are mica powders; a little goes a long way.  Easy to mix, many colors, and inexpensive.  Metallic type appearance.  Mica powder at Amazon
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
My last purchase was on Etsy from the Epoxyresinstore.
It turned out well.
I have bought some that were a little cloudy. Not this one. They have Rockstar on Etsy as well.
got this one in particular

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

I've done a few things. I've used mica powder with good success. It is true that a little goes a long way. The more you use, the more opaque and uniform it will be. If you want translucence (or swirls with different colors) you have to use less.

I tried glitter once in an attempt to add a bit of sparkle to a "water" piece. It didn't work. Glitter seems to settle in the lower half of the epoxy, so it won't be seen.

Dye works too, but it is easy to overdo it. A few drops is all you need.