Do I need a 16" planer?
Oh, nobody is raining on my parade.  Note that I said I am looking at getting one and IF it proves itself useful for a particular job, THEN use it for that. 

My desire for a Maslow is the ability to cut templates for furniture builds.  If it can do more than that, great.  Otherwise, no big deal.
Semper fi,
Brad

(03-23-2022, 08:18 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Is this a feasible option for 10' boards?  I've always thought that carrier sleds were a bit of a compromise and not ideal.  Mind you, I've never used one. 

I'm contemplating a Maslow CNC in the future.  If I get one and find that it can flatten a face well (even if slower than a jointer) I'll likely give up my jointer for the space saved.

I've never used one either, but I have seen people swear by them.

You said "small shop" so it never occurred to me that you would have a clear shop floor at least 24' long with infeed and outfeed supports to safely run 10' boards through a planer or jointer.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Yeah, I agree on being able to get the larger amount for the 100...but how long will it take?  Oh, the head for the E-16 will be closer to $1600 than $600!

Thanks for the arguments for and against!  You've given me more to think on.

All my numbers are subtracting the $1,000 you would get from selling the PM 100. That's how I would look at it. Would you trade your planer +$600 for a 16" spiral planer? Then, if you pass on this deal, would you trade your planer + $2,200 +S/H,Tax for a 15" Grizzly down the road?
Oooooh.

Gotcha. 

Yeah, I think it's worth $600-ish.
Semper fi,
Brad

In my world the tablesaw and jointer and planer are the basic machines. They increase productivity and improve accuracy more per euro or dollar spent and per square metre of workshop space used than any other machine.
Before such machines were available every joiner spent most of his work hours or had an apprentice spending pretty much all his work hours dimensioning timber. There is reslly no reason for going back.
If space or money is in short supply it is totally feasible to do the rest by hand once the machines have dimensioned the timber.

In my part time workshop I have a 24" jointer/planer combination. Anything smaller would be limiting my ability to dimension the sizes of timber I need. Being able to face joint and thickness large glued up anels all at once saves a lot of time and frustration. Occasionally I also use solid boards up to 16 inches wide.
A pretty much free 16 inch professional quality all cast iron planer is almost too good to be true and should be brought home if it is wide enough for you.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
Thanks for the advice, folks.  I was leaning heavily towards getting it before posting this, but just wanted to hear from some fudge that are more experienced than me that might have insight that would change my position.

So, unless something crazy happens, I'll be picking it up towards the later part of May.

iclark--

For many, my 24x24 (two car garage) shop is big.  If I were only a hobbyist sticking with small pieces, it would be perfect.  But I'm moving towards building tables and will quickly outgrow it; already it's a tight space with all the equipment I've acquired over the years.  As it is, I have just enough room between one wall and the shop door that I can comfortably face 12' boards if I open the garage door.  The longest I've done is 8'.  Where the jointer sits now, a 10' board will come off and miss the garage door by about half a foot.

Now I need to get off my butt and clean it.  Again.
Semper fi,
Brad