Powermatic 2014 220v lathe.
Not mine. Asking for a friend.

What is a fair market value for a Powermatic 2014 220v wood lathe on the factory stand with Nova chuck installed? It's in pristine almost new condition.
The only tool I have is a lathe.  Everything else is an accessory.
Which model? Presuming a 3520 although there was also a 4224.
(03-24-2022, 04:06 PM)Cian Wrote: Which model?  Presuming a 3520 although there was also a 4224.

I believe the model is 2014. for blanks 20 high and 14 long. Kind of a mini 3520.
It lists new for $3100.00
14 1/4 swing and 19 1/4 between centers.
He could probably get $2500.00 real easy.
There have been big price increases in machinery
over the last 2 years. Do you know what he paid for it?
It belongs to a lady who knows nothing about its value.

GM
Where is it located?
It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. - Voltaire
Know what, Bob? You win. CharlieD, 4/21/2008
I salute you. Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue! Hail MGoBlue!!!! CRR, 2/19/2008
Gracemont, SW Oklahoma. About 10 miles from my home. Lady's husband was a county commisioner, passed away from COVID recently. She has other tools, but I don't know what. I''m getting my information third-hand.

GM
$2500 seems like a decent starting point given current prices, with room to come down a little for convenience or if it doesn't sell. I have one that I got new a little over a year ago and I paid less than that but as others have said prices have gone up and it is the current market price that determines value, not what the owner might have paid for it at the time.

Note that you have the description backwards - it will turn items 14" wide and 20" long. It also actually runs on 110v not 220. It uses a vfd that might use that input voltage to generate 3-phase power at 220v to run the motor, but it is a selling point for some that it doesn't require a 220v line.
''How can we ever hope to understand atoms?'' Heisenberg had lamented that day.

''I think we may yet be able to do so,'' Bohr replied. ''But in the process we may have to learn what the word 'understanding' really means.''
The PM2014 is a relatively new model. The oldest reviews that turn up in a search are <4yo.

PM continued their practice of naming their lathes backwards from everyone else: max spindle length between centers first then max diameter over bed.

It is a 110V lathe with an inverter to convert to 3-phase and variable speed.

If it includes the 13" bed extension, a swing-away for the tail stock, or a PM caster set; they would each add value.

The cheaper price you said is likely for the lathe as "benchtop" (no base) and the higher price with base.
https://www.rockler.com/powermatic-pm201...AUQAvD_BwE

I think that I got a 20% discount by buying a demo lathe at the end of one of the AAW annual symposiums.

Depending on how quickly the widow wants it gone, 70-80% of new would seem reasonable. (60% if she really wants it gone quick). The $2500 suggested above would be 80% and a good place to start if it does not have the bed extension. I think that the most recent Jet/PM sale just ended. So, that will help with the re-sale value.

The widow also needs someone to tell her about the value of whatever tools her husband bought. High end tools from Doug Thompson or Woodturning Wonders can quickly add up to the cost of the lathe.

The price of Nova chucks vary hugely. A SuperNova2 chuck resale is ~$100 if it is in very good condition. It is not likely to be a Titan (higher price) for that small of a lathe. The other 2 common Nova chuck models are cheaper than the SN2. If it is one of the Nova chucks with quick-change jaws, it may be more of a collectors item (bigger bucks) than a user in today's market. As new as the lathe is, my guess would be that there would not be a large assortment of chuck jaws. IIRC, you turn. If so, you already know that jaws can be pricey.

If you could help the widow out with a visit to help with inventory and pics, we can try to get you better answers.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I have not seen the tools. A mutual friend posted about it in "Oklahoma Woodworking.
He is arranging for me to visit and see what else is there. He says she also has some walnut lumber and walnut burls.

GM