Checking Heat Pump
We have live here for two years, so know nothing about the heat pump. And we have never lived with AC before. This furnace / AC system work together; if it’s too cold, the propane system kicks in. Last summer the house kept cool as we set the thermostat. Everything works fine, summer and winter.
We got a postcard from the company that installed it some years back saying that for $75, they will do the annual inspection. Is an annual inspection needed?
We lived with that type of system for about 20 years, and never had the annual service inspection done. Gas furnaces are pretty reliable, and the HP is solid reliable technology as well. But that was the older system, and the newer ones have a lot more bells and whistles. The system we have now is one of the bells/whistles setups and I now have the annual service inspection done. Bottom line: $75 is a fair price (I pay $90 for the special price I get) and it would be worth it to have it done once just to confirm everything is good. After that, if it makes you sleep better, have it done it....otherwise pass and wait for something to fail. Another reason I have the inspection is that this system has a 10 year parts/service warranty. Having them inspect it annually takes away some reasons to deny coverage (the cynical side of me coming out).
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(03-25-2022, 10:37 AM)fredhargis Wrote: We lived with that type of system for about 20 years, and never had the annual service inspection done. Gas furnaces are pretty reliable, and the HP is solid reliable technology as well. But that was the older system, and the newer ones have a lot more bells and whistles. The system we have now is one of the bells/whistles setups and I now have the annual service inspection done. Bottom line: $75 is a fair price (I pay $90 for the special price I get) and it would be worth it to have it done once just to confirm everything is good. After that, if it makes you sleep better, have it done it....otherwise pass and wait for something to fail. Another reason I have the inspection is that this system has a 10 year parts/service warranty. Having them inspect it annually takes away some reasons to deny coverage (the cynical side of me coming out).

Making sure the outside coils are clean and the inside filter is replaced is the main issues.   My heat pump is less than a year old and I will have it checked before the one year bumper to bumper warranty is up.   Then I also have the 10 year warranty issue.   Mine has minimum bells and whistles but it runs a lot more over a year than a ac unit as it runs while it is in single digits.  Roly
Changing filters is the most important thing. If the A coil gets clogged it will blow the compressor.

The checks arent a bad idea very slow Freon leaks do occur. The issue is whether they are honest. Some try to sell you a new unit.