Stanley No. 60 chisel with black handle
(03-26-2022, 04:48 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Ah, but I specifically said "carpentry chisel."  Some of us do carpentry, and, I am reluctant to take the shop/bench tools to the job site (said job site being the house, 50 feet away from the shop); so these Stanley chisels have accompanied me into the attic, crawl space, and other scary places.

I saw that Bill, though I think others referred to using them at the bench.  If not, my bad.  I have a set of Buck Bros. steel caps for the carpentry bucket.
(03-26-2022, 04:19 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: Just so I understand. The chisels you bought had both square edges and parallel sides? Or one or the other?

Adam, I am referring to chisels with such high, square lands that they would be considered firmers. They are also thick blades, and they simply could not be used in a dovetail socket. After grinding (on the belt sander), the sides remain high, but the angle now has been altered to 1:6. This makes them so much more versatile. 

Over the years I had put together a set of Kiyohisa oire nomi. I wanted to use them more widely. They are essentially firmers. After re-blackening the sides, no one can tell that there was any grinding. The grind removes so little steel, but what it removes is so relevant.

Before ...

[Image: JapaneseOireNomi_html_m470ca827.jpg]

After ...

[Image: JapaneseOireNomi_html_2aeba843.jpg]

And re-blacked ...

[Image: JapaneseOireNomi_html_me72d600.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com