Bathroom remodel
I have started sketching a remodel of the the bathroom. I want to get rid of the tub (only time its used as a tub is for the dog) and put in a walk in shower. I plan to add a 12" bulkhead to contain pipe for an overhead shower and lighting. Long and short I'm looking for reference material for waterproofing the stall. Right now I'm leaning toward the orange water proofing material, but I want to get as much information as possible.

Anybody have any good reference sites?
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget
I used Kerdi in three shower renovations that I did myself and was happy with it. There are other competing systems, some of which came on the market just as I was finishing my last one, that are just as good.

You need to be careful to follow instructions for any of the systems to get them to work right. I'd start with the instructions for any system as reference material.

The John Bridge forum is also a wealth of info. Lots of pros that are willing to answer questions and give suggestions. And suggest products.

Tyler
Any sheet metal shops nearby?

If so, ask them how much for a soldered copper shower pan.

Or, contact these people, or others. 

https://www.riversidesheetmetal.net/copper-pans/
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
I've used Kerdi and Ditra. They both worked fine, but so did Red Guard. I've used the Schluder (?) pre-pitched shower bases, but didn't care for the curb. I also do mud pre-slopes with poly liners. The corners are easier if you leave a space in the corner framing to pull the flap then fill the crotch with silicone and press the wall panels into the wet bead.

I agree the John Bridge forum is the place to find expert advice, but we still want to see pic.s following the project.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Thanks for the sources and suggestions. 

I started gathering info on products and processes. I will probably have more questions as I learn more.
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget
(03-26-2022, 11:18 AM)firefighter Wrote: I have started sketching a remodel of the the bathroom. I want to get rid of the tub (only time its used as a tub is for the dog) and put in a walk in shower. I plan to add a 12" bulkhead to contain pipe for an overhead shower and lighting. Long and short I'm looking for reference material for waterproofing the stall. Right now I'm leaning toward the orange water proofing material, but I want to get as much information as possible.

Anybody have any good reference sites?

We removed the tub as well.  As hard it was on my knees to bathe them in the tub, it's harder still to do it kneeling in front of the shower base with nothing to lean on. 

I did a Kerdi shower that seemed like a lot of bother.  Durorock and Redgard on the latest job, which was considerably less trouble and probably less expensive.
We followed the Ditra/Kerdi route on our bath remodel. Worked fine, kinda expensive, but I'd do it again. Learn how to create a mud shower base, plenty of videos out there. Cheap, and if you don't like the way it turns out it's not difficult to tear it out and start over. Speaking of videos I found Sal DiBlasi YouTube videos very helpful. He's got a video on probably every tiling aspect for bathrooms.

You didn't ask but consider adding a heated floor while you have the room all torn up. For us it added about $500-600 to the job. Works great.
I used a cast iron shower base from Kohler in my last bath upgrade: worked out great. Enameled cast iron does away with the grout lines and feels way more substantial than any fiberglass base. You will need some strong backs to get this into place. Picture from Kohler website:
[Image: 40264-2.jpg]
John Bridge’s forum is tile mecca.   Be warned though- it’s a deeeeeeeep rabbit hole. 

Are you doing the work , or hiring people to build to a spec you’re looking to create ?  That will make a big difference.  

A copper pan and the required steps to properly build a shower in one are not DIY friendly, cheap or fast. More trouble than they are worth in my opinion unless that is the defacto standard in your locale and the project is being done entirely by professionals.  Even then, I wouldn’t do one in my own home. It’s too difficult to keep from ending up with a swimming pool that becomes a Petri dish. And it’s near impossible to do a curbless shower with one.

Heated floors are nice , but the install cost is not the end of it. There’s a camp that says they must run all season and not cycle on and off , lest you start having movement issues.  Even if you don’t , you are gonna notice your warm floors on your electric bill.
It's an old thread but if you go through it, there's a shower build in it. I did a mud and liner shower pan (floor). Not because it's easy or fast but because I'm cheap and I've done a few so I didn't have to learn anything on this one.

Upstairs remodel
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay