is 3/8" too thin for kitchen drawer side? borderline?
I think you'll be fine with 3/8" drawer sides, as long as the drawers aren't large or carrying a lot of weight. Rather than putting the drawer bottoms in grooves in the sides, consider using drawer slips. They were standard in european drawers that traditionally had thinner sides than American drawers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YIgHboZFlA
I think you will be fine but be sure your undermount slides accommodate that particular thickness. Some of them have specific requirements for side thickness.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
Thanks all. I guess I was just looking for reassurance that this wouldn't some huge mistake.

I went ahead and milled them down to 3/8" to get them flat.  I think they look fine and I kinda like the "lightness" to it in fact. Will be plenty strong I'm sure especially given the full undermount support.  The slides will allow for this thickness. I will glue the plywood into the dados and dovetail the sides, so it should be fine.

I do agree that 1/2" plywood bottoms is overkill. This came to materials availability.. When I was sourcing everything, 1/2" maple ply was what was available. 1/4" was "orderable" but it was literally $1 less per sheet, so I just went with what I could get.  Couldn't find 3/8" baltic birch either.
One other note. Make sure the drawer screw sides don't poke through when you screw the slides on.
I think they are normally 1/2" long, but I am not positive. I know it sounds obvious, but it's a mistake I've made lol
(03-28-2022, 08:45 AM)paul2004 Wrote: One other note. Make sure the drawer screw sides don't poke through when you screw the slides on.
I think they are normally 1/2" long, but I am not positive.  I know it sounds obvious, but it's a mistake I've made lol

roger that!
(03-26-2022, 06:11 PM)mound Wrote: Good point. No sense making a problem where there isn't any!

Isn't that what politicians do?

Jim
Jim
(03-28-2022, 12:32 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: Isn't that what politicians do?

Jim

Pretty much all they do!
(03-28-2022, 12:32 PM)Halfathumb Wrote: Isn't that what politicians do?

Jim

Only when it's profitable.