Celtic knot
Good morning

I want to make a Celtic knot peppermill. I've tried to find some good plans or YouTube on making one. No luck. Looked at some of the rolling pin ones and gave it a try but it was a failure

Anyone have a good set of plans for one? Or that I can modify into ones for a peppermill please
I've done a good many Celtic Knots in ink pens, starting with tutorial from the penturners forum.  It took a few tries to adapt myself to the tutorial though.  What was the nature of the failure? Blanks coming apart was the first thing i had to deal with--found epoxy and a few days of curing between steps helped.  Also helped the blank and look to use the same grain orientation for the inserts as the original blank. (i.e.  Crosscut kerf=crosscut insert for the knot)
If the blank held together, but the look was off--starting square and staying centered are required for a good knot.  I struggle with that a lot, but knowing that I"M the problem helps!! 
Segment proportions hard to get a sense of as well.  The exposed top and bottom of the insert segments are much thicker than the insert.  For a 1/2" diameter pen, a 1/16" thick insert looks about right if i cut the opening at 30 degrees.  At least to me!!  Instead of cutting all the way through the blank, i cut a kerf ALMOST all the way through, and mill my inserts to the thickness of that kerf.  I use my 10" table saw, but use a 8" blade with a .065" kerf (if i recall correctly.  Once i make that first cut, i glue in the insert and leave the saw settings alone until i can make the next cut 24 hours later--that way the blank hits the stop exactly where it was before.  So...i usually build at least a handful of blanks at the same time--and during the week since i'm still working a day job (may have to get a second table saw for retirement!!) 
Long response to provide no answer, other than to let you know that when you get it--it'll be worth it.  I will say that i don't think i could sell a Celtic knot pen for enough to make it worth-while, but they do make great gifts!!
Good Luck!!
earl
oops, posted my reply in joemacs thread on Celtic knots for rolling pins.

Same concepts and issues as pepper mills (especially keeping things centered). So, leaving that one pulled up.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(03-28-2022, 12:53 PM)greenacres2 Wrote: I've done a good many Celtic Knots in ink pens, starting with tutorial from the penturners forum.  It took a few tries to adapt myself to the tutorial though.  What was the nature of the failure? Blanks coming apart was the first thing i had to deal with--found epoxy and a few days of curing between steps helped.  Also helped the blank and look to use the same grain orientation for the inserts as the original blank. (i.e.  Crosscut kerf=crosscut insert for the knot)
If the blank held together, but the look was off--starting square and staying centered are required for a good knot.  I struggle with that a lot, but knowing that I"M the problem helps!! 
Segment proportions hard to get a sense of as well.  The exposed top and bottom of the insert segments are much thicker than the insert.  For a 1/2" diameter pen, a 1/16" thick insert looks about right if i cut the opening at 30 degrees.  At least to me!!  Instead of cutting all the way through the blank, i cut a kerf ALMOST all the way through, and mill my inserts to the thickness of that kerf.  I use my 10" table saw, but use a 8" blade with a .065" kerf (if i recall correctly.  Once i make that first cut, i glue in the insert and leave the saw settings alone until i can make the next cut 24 hours later--that way the blank hits the stop exactly where it was before.  So...i usually build at least a handful of blanks at the same time--and during the week since i'm still working a day job (may have to get a second table saw for retirement!!) 
Long response to provide no answer, other than to let you know that when you get it--it'll be worth it.  I will say that i don't think i could sell a Celtic knot pen for enough to make it worth-while, but they do make great gifts!!
Good Luck!!
earl

It was a alignment failure - my fault I had a cutoff of a baseball bat blank 3 inch hard maple - I thought i could cut it and glue it - it was ambitous and failed lol