Bandsaw tension?
Question 
Ok, what are your thoughts on bandsaw tension?

Personally l do release mine if I will not be using the bandsaw for an extended period of time.

What do you do in your shop?
I always release mine (16" steel bandsaw) but when this question comes up, it usually winds up with a split decision....at least it always has in the past. Another thing to consider is the usage.. my saw might sit for 2 months between uses.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
You may want to release the tension if you have unglued rubber tires on the wheels, or if you run really high tension.  The second is not an issue for your 14" cast iron frame saw because they aren't capable of applying high tension on a wide blade.  I have a 14" Delta and have measured the tension; 12 Ksi on a 1/2" blade is half what I run on a 1" blade on my big saw, but all it can comfortably manage both on the spring and frame.  

My saw came with unglued rubber tires.  For yours I would release the tension after use and never had an issue, then I got lazy and left the tension on it for months.  At some point, the tires stretched enough that the saw started vibrating pretty badly.  When I figured out the root of the problem I bought some urethane tires.  Problem solved.  I've been lazy for the past two or three years since I replaced them and the new ones haven't stretched a bit.  

John
I always release mine out of habit, especially given that it is so easy to do with the factory lever.

Jteneyck - That is good info.
(03-29-2022, 01:25 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I always release mine (16" steel bandsaw) but when this question comes up, it usually winds up with a split decision....at least it always has in the past. Another thing to consider is the usage.. my saw might sit for 2 months between uses.

I think sitting for weeks or months between uses is a good reason to detension. Plus my saw has a lever so it takes a few seconds. Hang the unplugged cord on the tensioning handle so I remember to retension before turning it on.
(03-29-2022, 12:50 PM)MT Woodworker Wrote: Ok, what are your thoughts on bandsaw tension?

Personally l do release mine if I will not be using the bandsaw for an extended period of time.

What do you do in your shop?

I never release tension. Never had a problem because of it.
I release tension when I clean up the saw after use, it has a tension release lever so is a piece of cake. Griz put the release there, why not use it? I open the top door as a mnemonic to remind me to re-tension before firing it up.

Gary
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone