Older Jet table saw
I have an old JTS-12 saw that I've had since 1987 or 88. It's been a good saw, but now I'm having a problem. I cranked the blade over to put a chamfer on a piece. Then when I went to put the blade back up at 90 degrees it wouldn't budge. I figured it had 35 years of packed up sawdust in the works. I unscrewed the top and flipped it over, them cleaned it up until you could eat off of it. It didn't do any good. If the worm gear is out of it the trunnions move very freely, but when I reinstall the worm gear I'm right back where I was. You can continue increasing the angle just fine, but you can't move it back toward 90 at all. Anyone else have an experience like this?
I would run it by Jet tech support.
I'd make sure everything moves smoothly without the worm gear in there in all directions. Then I would check the worm gear and the mating gear for any loose/broken teeth.
(04-04-2022, 01:17 PM)stav Wrote: I'd make sure everything moves smoothly without the worm gear in there in all directions. Then I would check the worm gear and the mating gear for any loose/broken teeth.

I'm not familiar with that saw but is there a set screw or roll pin between the gear and the shaft?  Make sure it's not missing or loose.  Just a thought.
If this is happening no matter what the tilt angle is, then it seems like it must be something binding the worm gear shaft.

I would take a close look where the worm gear shaft goes through a wall or bearing to see what is being tightened against the wall/bearing when you turn that shaft in the direction to go back to 90* but that opens up a gap when you are turning it to tilt away from 90*.

It sounds like you are effectively doing the 2-nut-on-a-screw trick to lock the nut in place.

Without digging for a parts list for that saw, maybe the crank handle hub is the culprit.

Edited to add: The OP joined and made this post and has not visited since.
Sigh
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.