Dehumidifiers in your work shop
I have a single 22 or 30 pint dehumidifier in my basement where my shop is. It has seemed to work fine for the past 2 years my wife and I have lived in the house. Always keeps it around 40-45% according to the dehumidifier. This past December we had french drains put in the basement. Since then when ever it rains the humidity rises. A few weeks ago we had a day that was bring and sunny 70 degrees and the humidity was close to 55%. I contacted the company that installed the french drains and obviously they said it is highly unlikely that the drains would cause this. They said that if you would like we do sell dehumidifiers they are commercial dehumidifier from the company Santa Fe. Issue with that is that they are $1300+

With this issue I purchased a hygrometer to measure the humidity. It matches the dehumidifier pretty closely within a few percentages. So the question is do you guys use a dehumidifier in your basement if so how big and what humidity level to you keep your shop at.
“Ann: Do you exercise?

Ron: Yes. Lovemaking and woodworking.”
Dehumidifier in my basement where I store all my lumber, and in my shop. Humidity runs from high 30's to low 40's year round. House also has whole-house dehumidification, also in same humidity range. All units run year-round. I am in Connecticut.
The cause and effect of adding the French drains seems pretty strong to me.  But if the floor wasn't sealed afterwards where they installed the drains that could be the source of added humidity.  Maybe sealing and painting the floor will resolve the issue.  

As far as dehumidifiers, yes, I have one in my basement.  In fact, I've had several because none of the new ones last more than 5 years, most less.  My shop is about 750 ft^2 and a 30 pt/day unit easily controls the RH in the summertime to the 55% I set it at.  In the Winter the RH goes down so low that I run a humidifier to keep it at a minimum of 35%.  

Dehumidifiers are rated for pints/day and there are guidelines for how many square feet or cubic feet they are suited for.  If your unit is in the recommended range, used to do the job, but no longer does, then either the unit is bad or those French drains are adding humidity.  If the unit is good, and the floor is sealed, then it looks like you will need to get a larger one.  

John
From what he stated the drains would not cause this issue.
(03-31-2022, 11:59 AM)jteneyck Wrote: The cause and effect of adding the French drains seems pretty strong to me.  But if the floor wasn't sealed afterwards where they installed the drains that could be the source of added humidity. 
John

That is what I assumed as well.  The drain system is supposed to be a "sealed system" Really it just seemed to be that they ran a bead of caulk over the top of the mira drain where the plastic meets the cement floor.  This was done on 3 walls in the basement.  Reason why I went with this company is because of the "sealed system".  We put the french drains in because any time it rained hard we would get water in the basement never in my shop area but closer then what I would like.  A lot of sleepless nights and a lot of anxiety had been spent on the basement.

The floors of the basement are not sealed but before the french drains the dehumidifier was working fine for the basement in the summer months and when it rained. After speaking with the owner of the company because I'm pissed at the fact that now I have this humidity issue and the only thing he can come up with is selling me a $1300 dehumidifier after I spent 9k on these drains that yes they fixed the water in the basement issue but seem to have created this humidity issue.

What brand dehumidifier do you have? From my research there was a new set of standards for measuring the pints per day and most of the 70 pint units from a few years ago are now considered 50.

(03-31-2022, 01:05 PM)briman87 Wrote: From what he stated the drains would not cause this issue.

That is what I assumed as well.  The drain system is supposed to be a "sealed system" Really it just seemed to be that they ran a bead of caulk over the top of the mira drain where the plastic meets the cement floor.  This was done on 3 walls in the basement.  Reason why I went with this company is because of the "sealed system".  We put the french drains in because any time it rained hard we would get water in the basement never in my shop area but closer then what I would like.  A lot of sleepless nights and a lot of anxiety had been spent on the basement.

The floors of the basement are not sealed but before the french drains the dehumidifier was working fine for the basement in the summer months and when it rained. After speaking with the owner of the company because I'm pissed at the fact that now I have this humidity issue and the only thing he can come up with is selling me a $1300 dehumidifier after I spent 9k on these drains that yes they fixed the water in the basement issue but seem to have created this humidity issue.

What brand dehumidifier do you have?  From my research there was a new set of standards for measuring the pints per day and most of the 70 pint units from a few years ago are now considered 50.

I would pursue a better solution from the contractor.  The system should be sealed.  It should not be adding humidity to your basement/house.  

As far as dehumidifiers go, the new ones you buy at the big box stores all are junk, IMO.  I've had Solair, Frigidaire, and a couple of others I can't remember the names of.  The only one that has lasted more than 5 years is my 35 year old General.  It's still going strong if I can only find a new fan motor for it.  The high end ones like Sante Fe are probably worth the money over the long haul if you can't come up with a satisfactory remedy for the drain system to prevent water vapor from coming in.  Best of luck.  

John
(03-31-2022, 02:55 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I would pursue a better solution from the contractor.  The system should be sealed.  It should not be adding humidity to your basement/house.  

As far as dehumidifiers go, the new ones you buy at the big box stores all are junk, IMO.  I've had Solair, Frigidaire, and a couple of others I can't remember the names of.  The only one that has lasted more than 5 years is my 35 year old General.  It's still going strong if I can only find a new fan motor for it.  The high end ones like Sante Fe are probably worth the money over the long haul if you can't come up with a satisfactory remedy for the drain system to prevent water vapor from coming in.  Best of luck.  

John

We have a Frigidaire that what there when we bought the house in 2020. It has been running fine for use in the current climate in New Jersey minus seeing the increase in humidity when it rains The hygrometer that I purchased gives you a log that you can go back as far as 2 years. I have looked at Honeywell 70 pint/day as they seem to have the best warranty for the big box stores. Apparently the Santa Fe and Aprilaire are the do top commercial brands. Did a quick search and couldn't find any General dehumidifiers.

(03-31-2022, 11:28 AM)briman87 Wrote:  So the question is do you guys use a dehumidifier in your basement if so how big and what humidity level to you keep your shop at.

The humidity in my basement shop depends entirely on how often my home's forced-air heating system cycles.  We don't have a furnace humidifier so the heat is very dry.

My goal is to keep the humidity in my basement shop below 55%.  In the dead of winter, it stays below 40% without any help from the dehumidifier.  By mid-Spring, I need to turn the dehumidifier on to maintain <55% R.H.

Even in mid-Summer when the AC is cycling frequently and pulling moisture from the air, I still need the dehumidifier or else the R.H. creeps up into the mid 60's

I think mine is a 40 or 50 pint.

Mike
(03-31-2022, 03:16 PM)briman87 Wrote: We have a Frigidaire that what there when we bought the house in 2020.  It has been running fine for use in the current climate in New Jersey minus seeing the increase in humidity when it rains The hygrometer that I purchased gives you a log that you can go back as far as 2 years.  I have looked at Honeywell 70 pint/day as they seem to have the best warranty for the big box stores.  Apparently the Santa Fe and Aprilaire are the do top commercial brands.  Did a quick search and couldn't find any General dehumidifiers.

General hasn't been made for a long time.  Too bad, because they were built well, unlike any of the newer offerings.  FWIW, I now have an LG - until I get the General up and running again.  

John
(04-02-2022, 02:51 PM)jteneyck Wrote: General hasn't been made for a long time.  Too bad, because they were built well, unlike any of the newer offerings.  FWIW, I now have an LG - until I get the General up and running again.  

John

That explains it. I was looking at LG and Honeywell. Honeywell has a 5 year warranty which is nice. We have a LG washer and dryer because of their great 10 year warranty on motor and pump and will probably get a LG dishwasher because of the warranty as well.

(04-05-2022, 09:06 AM)briman87 Wrote: That explains it.  I was looking at LG and Honeywell.  Honeywell has a 5 year warranty which is nice.  We have a LG washer and dryer because of their great 10 year warranty on motor and pump and will probably get a LG dishwasher because of the warranty as well.

FWIW, I now have a LG in my shop.  I bought it used for $40 and so far it's been fine.  I've had it about a year now.  I bought it specifically for it's manual controls.  Less to go wrong.  

I had two Honeywells.  Junk.  The first one got replaced under warranty in year two I think.  The second got replaced by a recall with another brand which also died.  

John