Saw Making continuation
I did not wish the hijack the other thread. So I will just post my, most likely, last saws of the summer. Although I do have about 20 tucked away in a work bench.

Hopefully I will get the pics right.

First up is my 18" half back. Infused maple burl with mother of pearl saw bolts. 10ppi x 15* Rake x 25* fleam.

[Image: 51973242917_a1a1532841_b.jpg]18" Trip[le Loop Half Back by Ron Bontz, on Flickr" />, [Image: 51973242912_9b3b2caecc_c.jpg]Triple loop by Ron Bontz, on Flickr" />

Next is a 45* hang 12" double loop dovetail 16ppi with mother of pearl as well.

[Image: 51974535509_0d7013bb00_b.jpg]Curly Maple dovetail, 45* hang by Ron Bontz, on Flickr" />, [Image: 51974809650_aa423a4b35_b.jpg]Curly maple dovetail by Ron Bontz, on Flickr" />

Next: Traditional style 12" dovetail in walnut with a 32* hang and canted plate. 16 ppi

[Image: 51974248591_bf0b1a0e3e_b.jpg]Curly walnut Dovetail 32* hang by Ron Bontz, on Flickr" />, [Image: 51973242832_705d56ec4a_b.jpg]Curly Walnut Traditional dovetail by Ron Bontz, on Flickr" />

Next: Another traditional style Madrone Burl with a 38* hang, 12" at 15ppi rip

[Image: 51974535474_5660931a00_b.jpg]12" madrone dovetail by Ron Bontz, on Flickr" />, [Image: 51974324163_381de95b61_b.jpg]Madrone Dovetail by Ron Bontz, on Flickr" />

A 12" x 3" x 0.025" carcass saw in Cocobolo. 14ppi x 15* R x 20* fleam

[Image: 51974535359_c1587fbe8e_b.jpg]12" Cocobolo Carcass Saw by Ron Bontz, on Flickr" />, [Image: 51974809515_d0cd8b765b_b.jpg]IMG_4545 by Ron Bontz, on Flickr" />

A Walnut and curly maple 12" carcass at 13ppi x 15* rake x 25* fleam

[Image: 51973242782_94d997cc34_b.jpg]Walnut Carcass Saw by Ron Bontz, on Flickr" />, [Image: 51974535394_a9f93de3e1_b.jpg]Curly Maple Carcass by Ron Bontz, on Flickr" />

That's it for me. Several of them are actually for me.
Smile Like a crack dealer addicted to his product.
BontzSawWorks.net
Ok So I forgot a couple:
This is an 18" x 4.5" x 0.025" Tenon I made with a "traditional" folded back and stainless saw bolts with cherry for the tote. It is 10ppi x 8* rake x 0* fleam. I designed and had a folded back fixture made for my little press a few years back. Haven't had a chance to mess with it much. It compresses the slotted backs as well so no need for glue. Needs a bigger press. 30 tons isn't enough for stainless backs. 260 brass and alloys do just fine with 30 tons, for the most part. I am guessing at least 50 tons. Maybe next fall. Time will tell.
So here it is. ( Just for you, Warren
Smile )
[Image: 51974809695_2ccc5a6378_b.jpg]18" Folded Back Tenon by Ron Bontz, on Flickr" />
Although, I may just have to put some black mother of pearl inlays in those stainless saw bolts to match the blued saw back. I just blued the steel saw back with gun blue and wiped it with tongue oil. So no huge expense with a bluing process.
And for your viewing pleasure, or not: Some mother of pearl inlaid saw bolts yet to be engraved.
[Image: 51974837195_5628e8acb8_b.jpg]Mother Of Pearl Inlaid Saw bolts by Ron Bontz, on Flickr" />
As always. Critiques welcome. But be nice. I am, after all,  a woke little snowflake.
Smile
Laugh
BontzSawWorks.net
(03-31-2022, 08:21 PM)RonB1957 Wrote: Ok So I forgot a couple:
This is an 18" x 4.5" x 0.025" Tenon I made with a "traditional" folded back and stainless saw bolts with cherry for the tote. It is 10ppi x 8* rake x 0* fleam. I designed and had a folded back fixture made for my little press a few years back. Haven't had a chance to mess with it much. It compresses the slotted backs as well so no need for glue. Needs a bigger press. 30 tons isn't enough for stainless backs. 260 brass and alloys do just fine with 30 tons, for the most part. I am guessing at least 50 tons. Maybe next fall. Time will tell.
So here it is. ( Just for you, Warren
Smile )
[Image: 51974809695_2ccc5a6378_b.jpg]18" Folded Back Tenon by Ron Bontz, on Flickr" />
Although, I may just have to put some black mother of pearl inlays in those stainless saw bolts to match the blued saw back. I just blued the steel saw back with gun blue and wiped it with tongue oil. So no huge expense with a bluing process.
And for your viewing pleasure, or not: Some mother of pearl inlaid saw bolts yet to be engraved.
[Image: 51974837195_5628e8acb8_b.jpg]Mother Of Pearl Inlaid Saw bolts by Ron Bontz, on Flickr" />
As always. Critiques welcome. But be nice. I am, after all,  a woke little snowflake.
Smile
Laugh
They just don't get any better or more beautiful, Ron!!!!!! Outstanding!!!!!!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Gorgeous work all around, Ron! I could stare at the burl and curly maple handles all day.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Ron! Your saws are outstandning and i would know them between thousands! Your craftmenships ist fantastic.

Cheers
Pedder
Ron,

I have always loved your saws and was surprised that nobody mentioned your name when joined it early, I just happened to logon when Pedder posted that thread. I hadn't been here in a few months I don't think.

I love how you created those plate designs, the design of your toe of the back, the etching on the blade and nuts...I love that half back also...and I love the looks of your handles. Great work, I've already told you that so many times...LOL

And speaking of etching, Patricia didn't make me a stencil for my name, but I haven't made any saws as I've just been busy with other stuff, and at that time I was pondering making some again. I have what I need for the time when I can spend making some nice saws. Too busy with the shop, and in fact, up to my eyeballs if not higher in my lake project. It was a bold project to take on, but in my mind I picture a shop I can build anything I want. With the recent addition of a set of plans for the shop, I am anxious to get that in now and it will allow me to take my time getting the shell in place on the foundation.

Thanks for showing your saws, they're wonderful. I have come up with some of the ideas you have incorporated but never completed many of them, I even have some checkering tools, and a luthier friend gave me a bunch of old ivory, mother of pearl and abalone pieces, I used several in handles, but none that I kept for myself. On my todo list is a handle with checkering that has a diamond inlay in the center. Of course I would want it with ebony and ivory inlay.
Razz

Also how you inlaid the medallions, I have tried a couple times, but hadn't perfected it well enough to use in a tool.
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
Actually Ron, I feel responsible for not mentioning you amongst the top sawmakers when I offered that opinion. I was thinking more about the past generation. You deserve to be numbered among the best. Your style is unique, and your workmanship as good as any of the top makers.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
That half back saw with maple burl is saw art!!

Ron
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/
(04-02-2022, 01:00 PM)Ron Brese Wrote: That half back saw with maple burl is saw art!!
A saw make after my own heart! The first saw I made with a Crown Gent's saw used a piece of Maple Burl for the handle. I love the look of it.

I still have the piece of Maple Burl I got that first handle from.
Smile
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
(04-01-2022, 11:54 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Ron,

I have always loved your saws and was surprised that nobody mentioned your name when joined it early, I just happened to logon when Pedder posted that thread. I hadn't been here in a few months I don't think.

I love how you created those plate designs, the design of your toe of the back, the etching on the blade and nuts...I love that half back also...and I love the looks of your handles. Great work, I've already told you that so many times...LOL

And speaking of etching, Patricia didn't make me a stencil for my name, but I haven't made any saws as I've just been busy with other stuff, and at that time I was pondering making some again. I have what I need for the time when I can spend making some nice saws. Too busy with the shop, and in fact, up to my eyeballs if not higher in my lake project. It was a bold project to take on, but in my mind I picture a shop I can build anything I want. With the recent addition of a set of plans for the shop, I am anxious to get that in now and it will allow me to take my time getting the shell in place on the foundation.

Thanks for showing your saws, they're wonderful. I have come up with some of the ideas you have incorporated but never completed many of them, I even have some checkering tools, and a luthier friend gave me a bunch of old ivory, mother of pearl and abalone pieces, I used several in handles, but none that I kept for myself. On my todo list is a handle with checkering that has a diamond inlay in the center. Of course I would want it with ebony and ivory inlay.
Razz

Also how you inlaid the medallions, I have tried a couple times, but hadn't perfected it well enough to use in a tool.
Hi Alan.
    The MOP dots are cut to fit in the recess of the medallions with two part epoxy. Then put back on the lathe, sanded and polished. A little tedious. It's a snug fit. There is a place in Ca. that made them for me. In fact my small Abalone dots were too loose so I have to make a few recessed 1/2" bolts to accommodate them. I generally avoid putting any inlays in the wood itself. Wood moves, but the MOP do not. So I suspect they could come loose at some point. I believe Skelton, a trained gun smith,  does checkering. He makes beautiful saws, but I have no idea how he fastens his saw backs, etc.
I am hoping to get more time to devote to saws now that I am retired, but I have to get this house in order. Always something.
BontzSawWorks.net