Identifying an Aluminum File
I have a lot of files, many of which I got from Slav years ago. I recall when getting them Slav handing me a couple and said that they were for aluminum and would be helpful. Of course by this point I have no idea which two those were in the several I have. Is there any easy way to identify what a file is made for?

I've been meaning to ask this for quite some time, and the other thread jogged my memory ?

Files for aluminum are generally coarser to minimize clogging by the soft metal. That is not to say that finer files can't be used when you want to leave a smoother surface, but they will tend to clog and then you need a stiff wire brush or a special file cleaning card to clean them. This explains further:
https://www.tinmantech.com/faqs/tools/fi...uminum.php
The Vixen file seems to be the thing I've thought of as designed for aluminum.  It has teeth like a float, but cut in a curve.  I have found they work well on wood in planemaking where you might use a more expensive float.
(04-04-2022, 02:46 PM)Alan S Wrote: The Vixen file seems to be the thing I've thought of as designed for aluminum.  It has teeth like a float, but cut in a curve.  I have found they work well on wood in planemaking where you might use a more expensive float.

Like this...........

[Image: F38-DF2-C8-CE3-F-4-B30-B7-F1-26-CE58-F0-EA5-B.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Hi Mark, aluminum files will have aluminum marked on it. Larry Williams educated me on them. He uses them for shaping handles on his planes. Do not use them on metal you will damage them. When using and regular file on aluminum they just slide across the work. With an aluminum file it grabs and cuts. The angle of the teeth is the key to their magic. Will try to post a pic tomorrow.

Slav
"More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego..."   -Albert Einstein.