An All Purpose Shooting Board
John,

I think Cliff’s main point is that since you’re only taking a little off per pass, if the board being trimmed is too long, it won’t be able to be held in place by the single stop at the desired length AND be trimmed by the plane; it’ll stick out too much.

So the fixed stop, (what he’s calling the right stop in this example) stops the sliding stop, (the left stop) at the desired length when it’s done gradually feeding the board into the plane.

I guess you could accomplish this by having two stops that can flip up out of the way and stop the other stop, or have 1 stop with something on either side that limits its travel in one direction while allowing it to move freely in the other direction.
(06-04-2022, 04:45 PM)cpolubin Wrote: John,

I'll try to be clearer.
Start with 2 Flip stops, one with the flip arm on the right, that's the left stop. One with the flip arm on the left, that's the right stop. When they are sitting side by side the flip arms are in the middle. This is so it works shooting on either side of the shooting board.

Let's say you're shooting on the right side. Set the left stop with the arm down so the right side of the arm is at your desired length. Then slide the right stop with the arm up until it touches the left stop and tighten it down. The arm on the right stop isn't used in this instance. The stop is used as a limit for the left stop's travel. Slide the left stop over enough to clear the board being trimmed (which is longer than the desired length) and use the arm of the left stop to push the board as it's trimmed until it meets the right stop. Now your board is the desired length and you can shoot any number of boards to the same length.

Hope that helps. I've been running back and forth to the rehab center that my wife's at and it may be a bit before I can get to Sketchup for a drawing.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff.  I got it now.  That's a very interesting idea.  The outside stop would have to have a protrusion on it in order for the body of the flip stop to clear the bolt head on the other.  I think it would be just as easy, and cost nothing, to just put a block of wood against the end of the board being trimmed and slide it over until it hits the stop that is set to the desired length.  Another option would be to put a T-bolt stop in the track itself as the limit for the sliding stop.  

When I tested the length stop, I was satisfied that the one stop worked well, as I showed it.  But I also like the idea of using a block of wood to slide the workpiece over until it contacts the stop, but that still requires only one stop.  At this point I think it might be best to just offer the length stop as is until enough people have used it and made their preference know on how best to use it.  

Thanks very much for your input.  Always appreciated.  

John