Mr. Timberwolf - Ballistol
(04-10-2022, 10:10 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Yes, and they have "Rust Free", which is a rust remover. T-9 will not remove rust, only prevent it. It is the best, IMO, I use it for everything other people commonly use WD40 for, and I only use WD40 as a cutting fluid for aluminum. Being a sailor, I learned long ago that WD40 is horrible on any electrical wire covers, it's eats them and corrodes the wire connections and gums up winchs, so most all racers use T-9. For me it's not good for mechanical OR electrical, so I find WD40 more annoying than it's worth. It does work really well as a cutting fluid for aluminum, but tap free does as well...just more expensive...

I also have used Ballistol and have a can on the bench by me, but I have T-9 there also. Ballistol is also good for and recommended for leather, which is why I had originally bought it, and then saw that it was widely used on firearms. But I use CLP more than I use Ballistol, I heard the Government uses CLP. There's another one I've tried on Firearms which is FrogLube. And this bring us to why I HATE Ballistol and will only use it if I would have to go out to the garage/truck, but I always regret it. It STINKS and is such a foul odor that just hangs around my office/shop area, even if I open the windows and have the fans going, that Ballistol is foul to me. CLP less offensive, and FrogLube being pleasant. I think it's some type of mint smell...WD40 smell like old tennis shoes.

CLP is the handiest and I got a 2 for 1 sale years ago and still using those cans. I also use it as quick lube while I'm polishing turds...(i.e., cleaning old dirty rusted tools). Rust Free is the only rust remover that smells good to me. It smells like coconut, other than that I use diesel. In fact one thing diesel is great for is washing your hands when they're filthy greasy, it doesn't irritate the skin. That is not so of mineral spirits, at least for me...my hands seems to end up itching even if I wear nitrile gloves...

Now I'm having second thoughts, if it doesn't bother Jack, and he's already old than I'm projecting for myself. which is about a dozen years younger than his age...maybe I should start using Ballistol more???
Winkgrin
Allan, one thing I learned during the many decades that I worked in the business of maintaining heavy equipment and machinery...It's not as important WHAT you use for lubrication as it is how often you use it.
Crazy..Even WD-40 will prevent rust if a film is maintained...I am not a big fan of WD-40 except for what it was intended..displacing water, and that it does perfectly, IMO.... We used it in our fleet of 2500 wheel and tracked vehicles to waterproof ignition systems. {we have hurricanes}..Now, how a rust proofing material smells is not as important to me is how well it does its job, long term...In the "olden days", beef tallow was "state of the art"...if your flintlock rifle was not "waterproofed", you could lose your hair, because of "failure to fire". However, this was a few years before my time...
Uhoh BUT, I have also used Tallow...it works, but it is nasty stuff. I think you can still buy it from Dixie Gun Works..{They used to publish a great catalog, but that was another hobby of mine}..I am sure that there are lots of products on the market today that do a wonderful job of rust prevention, but I want something that also provides excellent lubrication as well, and I have found that Ballistol does that for me. However, I would not use it for lubricating clocks {clocks and watches were also a hobby of mine...in the olden days when I could see, of course.}....

Here's a thought..."Way Oil"...I have half a gallon of the stuff out in the shop...You may have some too, being a Metalhead with a bunch of machinery..I wonder how that would prevent rust?..And something else that's hard to beat...Full synthetic engine oil....cheap protection, excellent lubricant...Remember...."Rust will RESPECT what you PROTECT"!!
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(04-11-2022, 08:36 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: It's not as important WHAT you use for lubrication as it is how often you use it.
Crazy..Even WD-40 will prevent rust if a film is maintained...
I agree, it is good at displacing water as it was intended, but even to use it on drill chucks, it stands a chance to go gummy in the gears. It's just hard to keep it out of things, IMO. OTOH, if I need to wipe something down that didn't matter, so some steel that had been in the weather, I might use it...as I might rinse it off and try to clean first.

(04-11-2022, 08:36 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: Now, how a rust proofing material smells is not as important to me is how well it does its job, long term...
That's why I said, my hat is off to you, I hate the smell...

(04-11-2022, 08:36 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: In the "olden days", beef tallow was "state of the art"
Now you're stabbing me...I use beef tallow to bbq with. I have a tub of wagyu tallow, and I have had my wife use it in the pressure cooker for a couple things.

I've often pondered the lamb tallow, seems like the colonials bathed in that stuff, slathering it under their arms...they tanned leather with it as I recall, used it for tools, and probably ad deodorant...LOL That seems to stem from England, not sure.

(04-11-2022, 08:36 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: but I want something that also provides excellent lubrication as well, and I have found that Ballistol does that for me. However, I would not use it for lubricating clocks {clocks and watches were also a hobby of mine...in the olden days when I could see, of course.}....
I don't know, I don't find the lubricating properties too bad at all, it's just the odor for me. It lubricates well. But I tend to grab the CLP instead, the cans were about 4x the size, and I still keep wondering when that Ballistol will run out. Cute on that respect! LOL
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
(04-12-2022, 06:13 AM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Now you're stabbing me...I use beef tallow to bbq with. I have a tub of wagyu tallow, and I have had my wife use it in the pressure cooker for a couple things.

Only a true BBQ connoisseur would know about wagyu tallow!  I also have a tub I use for smoking brisket and other cuts of beef.  It turns a very good brisket into a world class brisket.  Only problem these days is a butcher's cut (flat and point together) brisket requires a second mortgage.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Well, I managed to find some somewhat heavier mineral oil. I will locate some tools, mix up a bit, and check it out.
(04-12-2022, 12:41 PM)AHill Wrote: Only a true BBQ connoisseur would know about wagyu tallow!  I also have a tub I use for smoking brisket and other cuts of beef.  It turns a very good brisket into a world class brisket.  Only problem these days is a butcher's cut (flat and point together) brisket requires a second mortgage.
Well, the 'que world has been trying to figure out what Franklin's secret was, and you've probably seen the guy in TN, the mad que something or other. He claims that Franklin used tallow with pink butcher paper, and I only have white, that I use for glueups on wood projects, but I more often use parchment in the smoker. Franklin is in Austin, TX. People wait in line for hours to get brisket which he sells for more than most everyone...the other place on my bucket list is Bryants in KC, that's the home of burnt ends, AFAIK. (I better exit here before the topic police step in)
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
(04-18-2022, 11:58 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Well, the 'que world has been trying to figure out what Franklin's secret was, and you've probably seen the guy in TN, the mad que something or other. He claims that Franklin used tallow with pink butcher paper, and I only have white, that I use for glueups on wood projects, but I more often use parchment in the smoker. Franklin is in Austin, TX. People wait in line for hours to get brisket which he sells for more than most everyone...the other place on my bucket list is Bryants in KC, that's the home of burnt ends, AFAIK. (I better exit here before the topic police step in)

You can order Franklin BBQ online now, but it's quite expensive.  They vacuum pack it, ship it refrigerated, and provide instructions on how to reheat it.  From what I hear, it's very near what you can pick up from his store.  Franklin's success is more than just the beef tallow.  It's where he gets his meat, using pin oak for the wood, only salt and pepper for seasonings, VERY GOOD control of the smoker temps, and how he rests the brisket after he removes it from the smoker.  Back when I lived in Southern California, I smoked a brisket after I moved into my house.  Half the neighborhood hanged around and they loved it.  No offense to you Californians, but just because you cook something on a fire, that doesn't make it real southern bbq.  I claim Texas as my home state, so I'm more than a little biased.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(04-19-2022, 12:57 PM)AHill Wrote: You can order Franklin BBQ online now, but it's quite expensive.  They vacuum pack it, ***** it refrigerated, and provide instructions on how to reheat it.  From what I hear, it's very near what you can pick up from his store.  Franklin's success is more than just the beef tallow.  It's where he gets his meat, using pin oak for the wood, only salt and pepper for seasonings, VERY GOOD control of the smoker temps, and how he rests the brisket after he removes it from the smoker.  Back when I lived in Southern California, I smoked a brisket after I moved into my house.  Half the neighborhood hanged around and they loved it.  No offense to you Californians, but just because you cook something on a fire, that doesn't make it real southern bbq.  I claim Texas as my home state, so I'm more than a little biased.
Myron Mixon knows a thing or two about smoking and BBQ, and I bought his first book right after I started smoking again a few years ago...

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/searc...tion=click
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(04-19-2022, 12:57 PM)AHill Wrote: No offense to you Californians, but just because you cook something on a fire, that doesn't make it real southern bbq.  I claim Texas as my home state, so I'm more than a little biased.
No offense to you, but we have decent 'que out west and I produce as good of 'que in my smoker than anyone else, IMO. And yes, I have experiemented and tried all types of techniques. As an example, I prefer sauce that is KC style with a tad of vinegar in it, that's how my daughter makes it from scratch. Anyway, it's all good and sure I can order a Franklin, but I want to eat it there. I get mine pretty darn good and it's jelloie like Franklins when I pick it up after it's done...I learned quite a bit from Aaron, but he mostly showed that previous people would take the internal to about 190-195 degrees, and Aaron taught us that 205 degrees pushes it over the edge.

Slap 'yo Daddy has won dozens of competitions using the same old WSM like I use. But as me, I think he uses hardwood oak lump vs. green oak like they use in TX for offsets.

I'll put any of my meats up against any others, burnt ends, brisket flat, short ribs, spares, butts, etc...for me it's all about seeing my guests with a happy face when they leave.

It's all good, but just don't think of us west coasters as not knowing what we're doing in regard to 'que, you're in FL after all, how much good 'que do you folks have that was created there?
Rolleyes
Alan
(04-18-2022, 06:19 PM)john jesseph Wrote: Well, I managed to find some somewhat heavier mineral oil. I will locate some tools, mix up a bit, and check it out.

Can you tell me the brand of the mineral oil and where to get some?
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Yes, I got it from the online retail behemoth.

Brand: Dr Adorable

Item: Mineral Oil 350 Viscosity Nf 4 Oz

We have “Prime” so it was only a three dollar gamble.

Disclaimer: I haven’t opened the bottle of oil or Ballistol yet. And I don’t know the unit of measure the 350 refers to. It’s thicker than baby oil though.