Mr. Timberwolf - Ballistol
Thanks John!

Seventeen
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
(04-19-2022, 04:15 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: No offense to you, but we have decent 'que out west and I produce as good of 'que in my smoker than anyone else, IMO. And yes, I have experiemented and tried all types of techniques. As an example, I prefer sauce that is KC style with a tad of vinegar in it, that's how my daughter makes it from scratch. Anyway, it's all good and sure I can order a Franklin, but I want to eat it there. I get mine pretty darn good and it's jelloie like Franklins when I pick it up after it's done...I learned quite a bit from Aaron, but he mostly showed that previous people would take the internal to about 190-195 degrees, and Aaron taught us that 205 degrees pushes it over the edge.

Slap 'yo Daddy has won dozens of competitions using the same old WSM like I use. But as me, I think he uses hardwood oak lump vs. green oak like they use in TX for offsets.

I'll put any of my meats up against any others, burnt ends, brisket flat, short ribs, spares, butts, etc...for me it's all about seeing my guests with a happy face when they leave.

It's all good, but just don't think of us west coasters as not knowing what we're doing in regard to 'que, you're in FL after all, how much good 'que do you folks have that was created there?
Rolleyes

I'm originally from Texas (McAllen, Fort Worth, and El Paso).  Spent time in France, Germany, Japan, Indiana, South Carolina, Colorado, Washington, Maryland, Alabama, Georgia, California, New York, and Missouri as well, so I've had a good sampling of all those countries and state's bbq.  I've no doubt yours is fantastic.  It's just harder to find good Texas style (or KC style) bbq in California than in the south or southwest.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(04-22-2022, 03:07 PM)AHill Wrote: It's just harder to find good Texas style (or KC style) bbq in California than in the south or southwest.
I couldn't agree with you more, in fact we probably pay much more if/when you can find it, there are a few places around. One place called The Sauced sells burnt ends and they have a short rib uncut, but for a single rib bone it's $39, I have only gotten it once. It's as good as I make, I buy the cryo pack with 4 bones (I think the front) which have about 2" of prime rib meat. That's how the butchers get the short ribs out here. Not as long as the tomohawk bones, so I think they must be from the front. I had a half rack of my favorite local St. Louis style spares (South Winchester BBQ in Campbell), that's mostly the only pork ribs I cook, but babyback beat a bow of peas any day of the week. I'd rather grill skirts or ribeyes at that point. This place charges $24/$39 for just the ribs...1/2 rack vs 1 rack. I got 7 bones in my 1/2, cause they like me...I'm a regular. But some folks get only 6, cause officially a pig has 13 bones. This place has competition style St. Louis ribs and take the membrane off. Most commercial joints don't take the time to remove the membrane, I guess I'm a snob...I always remove it. Same with removing silver skin off the skirts. Recently I did a beef tongue, my family loves tongue, it was amazing. I'd like to try burnt ends with it, it's really fatty.

To keep on topic, my daughter's sauce smells a heck of a lot better than Ballistol...
Winkgrin
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.