What am I doing incorrectly with this guide bushing?
Question 
This is the second Bosch RA1113 bushing that I've destroyed.  1/2" straight bit.  17/32" ID on the bushing.

I used the centering cone and *thought* the subbase was centered. 

Bit is apparently hitting the guide and tearing it off.  

Help?

Oh, here's the jig I'm using. Trying to cut mortices in the ends of a table top for floating tenons.

https://youtu.be/Bx1Mg2mTMO0

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Might be as simple as tight clearances. A 1/32” total provides only 1/64” margin on a side. Doesn’t take much runout to cause interference. And it’s combined runout of bit, collet, bushing and faceplate. I’d try a little more difference between bit & bushing.
Earl
(04-06-2022, 09:46 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: This is the second Bosch RA1113 bushing that I've destroyed.  1/2" straight bit.  17/32" ID on the bushing.

Help?

Oh, here's the jig I'm using.  Trying to cut mortices in the ends of a table top for floating tenons.

https://youtu.be/Bx1Mg2mTMO0

Is that a DeWalt 621?  If so, mine is off center just a wee bit.  Supplemental bases (two from Pat Warner and one from Amazon) are also off.  

For whatever that may be worth.
Okay, cool.

Looks like I'll have to use the larger OD/ID bushing to hog out the waste and then go back and clear it the final 1/16" with a chisel.  Slow, but feasible. 

KC, it's a Bosch MR23EVS.
Semper fi,
Brad

I agree on the too little clearance assessment. Also, any torque you put on the bushing while routing might be enough to use up that 1/64" clearance (max, if everything is aligned perfectly) and create contact.

Tyler
I don't disagree with the above clearance comments. And this is just a opinion based on looking at pictures. So, I could be way off base. The Bosch guide bushing appears to be made with the bushing cylinder swedged into a flat plate. It looks like the swedged end has pulled loose from the plate. It could be caused by contact with the cutter. I don't know. But, it seems to me, that method of manufacture leaves possibilities of bending, flexing, loosening, etc. I like the Porter Cable guide bushings which are machined from a solid piece of steel or brass. You could use these, but you will probably have to also change the plastic base plate. This is not a big deal; easy to make from 1/4" acrylic.
(04-07-2022, 08:24 AM)OneStaple Wrote: I agree on the too little clearance assessment. Also, any torque you put on the bushing while routing might be enough to use up that 1/64" clearance (max, if everything is aligned perfectly) and create contact.

Tyler

Yeah, I agree, too. Lesson learned!

(04-07-2022, 09:32 AM)Willyou Wrote: I don't disagree with the above clearance comments. And this is just a opinion based on looking at pictures. So, I could be way off base. The Bosch guide bushing appears to be made with the bushing cylinder swedged into a flat plate. It looks like the swedged end has pulled loose from the plate. It could be caused by contact with the cutter. I don't know. But, it seems to me, that method of manufacture leaves possibilities of bending, flexing, loosening, etc. I like the Porter Cable guide bushings which are machined from a solid piece of steel or brass. You could use these, but you will probably have to also change the plastic base plate. This is not a big deal; easy to make from 1/4" acrylic.

This was mentioned by a friend of mine. After this project is done I'll buy the PC bushings.

Yeah, the guide is swedged to the plate.
Semper fi,
Brad

(04-06-2022, 09:46 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: This is the second Bosch RA1113 bushing that I've destroyed.  1/2" straight bit.  17/32" ID on the bushing.

Help?

Oh, here's the jig I'm using.  Trying to cut mortices in the ends of a table top for floating tenons.

https://youtu.be/Bx1Mg2mTMO

Nevermind.  Can't seem to delete this.  

John