Supernova chuck opinions?
I am new to turning - so new I have not turned anything yet.  I am assembling all the supplies needed.  I have a lathe with a 12 inch swing.  I might want to turn some small bowls or plates.

I have a chance to buy a Supernova chuck.  As far as I can tell, it is the original, not the Supernova2.  Based on my research, this one has been discontinued for quite some time.

If it is good operating condition and all the parts are there, I was thinking of offering $50 for it.  But I would like opinions on this chuck.  Should I just bite the bullet and get a new one?  This used one might help to get me some experience before I pony up $300 for a Oneway or Vicmarc.

Thanks.
Steve
(04-07-2022, 08:20 AM)arnman Wrote: I am new to turning - so new I have not turned anything yet.  I am assembling all the supplies needed.  I have a lathe with a 12 inch swing.  I might want to turn some small bowls or plates.

I have a chance to buy a Supernova chuck.  As far as I can tell, it is the original, not the Supernova2.  Based on my research, this one has been discontinued for quite some time.

If it is good operating condition and all the parts are there, I was thinking of offering $50 for it.  But I would like opinions on this chuck.  Should I just bite the bullet and get a new one?  This used one might help to get me some experience before I pony up $300 for a Oneway or Vicmarc.

Thanks.

I have a few of these and am very happy with them. I use them for smaller items (up to 10" diameter). One of the good things is all Nova jaws fit most other Nova Chucks. 
One of the  concerns of the original SN is the chuck keys are rarely available. Make sure the one included is in good shape. 

Note $50 with at least one set of jaws is a steal.
(04-07-2022, 08:20 AM)arnman Wrote: I've not turned anything yet.  I am assembling all the supplies needed.  I have a lathe with a 12 inch swing.  I might want to turn some small bowls or plates.

"Standard" for Novas would be 2", 1" jaws and a woodworm screw.  The jaws work very well in expansion mode.  Nor well in spigot - contraction or crush - mode, though, as mentioned, such types are available.  As I turn almost exclusively over the bed, using the tailstock for support until best balance. I find the 2" to be the most useful up to my max of 16" diameter. 

I have two supers, so I change chucks, not jaws.  Strongly recommend a set of pin jaws when able,  if you don't buy a pin chuck.  With help from the tailstock, they work great for starting pieces.  

50 bucks for a complete super is a steal.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Thanks for all of the comments! We will see how this works out.
Steve
(04-07-2022, 08:20 AM)arnman Wrote: I am new to turning - so new I have not turned anything yet.  I am assembling all the supplies needed.  I have a lathe with a 12 inch swing.  I might want to turn some small bowls or plates.

Thanks.

i have and use 3 supernova one was new the others bought used I've had no issues up to 16" diameter bowls and hollow forms to 10 inches deep. Be sure it comes with the chuck key as they aren't available any longer. I see no difference in the supernova 2 other than a new style key and back cover. 
Tim
As other have said, this is a good chuck as long as you have a working chuck key.

Without the chuck key, it is a paperweight.

If buying from someone you know, you want to strongly encourage them to find the key that came with each chuck.

I have seen WTB posts for keys on quite a few forums looking for a Supernova chuck key because someone lost theirs or bought a chuck without one.

Also, it can be useful to know that the jaws for Record chucks also fit the Nova chucks. If you need a 35mm jaw set get the Record instead of wasting your money on the Nova version (matters if you want to use it in compression mode).

The Nova 50mm jaws are NOT dovetail jaws in compression. That is a critical piece of information when making your tenon.

Edited to correct the 30mm to 35mm jaws - realized my mistake when I looked at the Nova youtube channel.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(04-08-2022, 04:11 PM)iclark Wrote: As other have said, this is a good chuck as long as you have a working chuck key.

Without the chuck key, it is a paperweight.

If buying from someone you know, you want to strongly encourage them to find the key that came with each chuck.

I have seen WTB posts for keys on quite a few forums looking for a Supernova chuck key because someone lost theirs or bought a chuck without one.

Also, it can be useful to know that the jaws for Record chucks also fit the Nova chucks. If you need a 30mm jaw set get the Record instead of wasting your money on the Nova version (matters if you want to use it in compression mode).

The Nova 50mm jaws are NOT dovetail jaws in compression. That is a critical piece of information when making your tenon.

Are you sure about the Nova 50mm? I believe they are dovetail and the Oneway 50mm are straight. There may be either type available for both. 

The easiest way to confirm SN v, SN2 is the key. The SN2 key is a standard Allen Key. The SN has a geared key similar to the Oneway.

Also to expand on my above remark about using for under 10" in diameter. I do not think the 10" is a limit, I just have a bigger chuck I use for larger pieces. 

Good Luck with your new hobby!!!!
(04-08-2022, 06:45 PM)taxman Wrote: Are you sure about the Nova 50mm? I believe they are dovetail and the Oneway 50mm are straight. There may be either type available for both. 

The Nova website says:
Quote:With a special NOVA Wood Turning Dovetail Profile, designed specifically for maximum strength and holding in Wood Turning, without crushing the wood fibers.

That "special" is a regular dovetail in expansion, but an unique one in compression. It is a smooth, straight profile until almost the top and then it is a very small dovetail. One cuts the tenon as a smooth straight cylinder (shorter than the depth of the jaws) with a square shoulder. Then you take a regular grind skew flat on its side and cut a dovetail shorter than the one in the jaws.

If you look at the jaw profile starting at ~9sec into this vid, you can see the difference between the inner and outer profile. Lots of us have gotten into trouble because we did not catch on to that "special" Nova dovetail profile.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
[quote="iclark" pid='8070714' dateline='1649473179']

The Nova website says:

That "special" is a regular dovetail in expansion, but an unique one in compression.

That's very interesting. My first chuck was a Oneway with straight jaws. My first "dovetail" was the Nova. I always have used the skew method you describe to measure dovetails.

If I understand you correctly, my non-Nova chucks should be using a different dovetail profile?

While I haven't recognized a problem, I will have to take a closer look at their profile.

Learned something new today!!! Thanks
This is great information you are sharing.  Gives me some things to be looking for.

The deal was made.  The key was included.  The chuck and key look to be in great shape, but there is some dust on the internal gears (when looking at the back side).  I should probably try to get that cleaned out.

But there was more.  There were two other chucks included, and some loose jaws.

I will try to post some pictures this weekend.  I will probably need some help deciphering what some of these things are.
Steve