Supernova chuck opinions?
I am trying to load pictures from my phone but I am unable to do it.  I resized to the smallest size available and it still does not work.
Steve
Looks like I figured out the photo posting procedure.  There were three chucks included in the deal, along with a couple extra jaw sets.  I think one of the chucks might be a metal lathe chuck, but I am not really sure.  In any case, it looks like all the pieces of the Supernova are there.

Steve
A few more pictures of some of the parts.  Notice the different size of the "loose" jaws compared to those mounted on the Supernova.  Is there supposed to be a cover on the back side of the Supernova to keep the dust out?

Steve
(04-13-2022, 02:28 PM)arnman Wrote: A few more pictures of some of the parts.  Notice the different size of the "loose" jaws compared to those mounted on the Supernova.  Is there supposed to be a cover on the back side of the Supernova to keep the dust out?

You've got two woodworking and one metal chuck, as you assume.  Stop by Home - NOVA, a Teknatool Brand and get the designations for the chucks and accessories. 

PLEASE tell me you didn't get that haul for $50 !!!!

No back on the super.  Most of us collect dust as it's created in a DC, not the chuck.  Glasses on, compressed air, WD40 wash if it's sticky.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(04-13-2022, 03:27 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: PLEASE tell me you didn't get that haul for $50 !!!!

Umm.... I guess this time I got lucky.  Definitely not meaning to gloat, I initially started the conversation because the info on the web seemed so scarce.   

And thanks for the additional clarifications!
Steve
Be careful using the metal chuck. The spinning jaws are almost invisible and they will hurt you if you run your hand or a tool into them.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
For those looking for a replacement SN1 key, if you can't find a used one (eBay?), it appears a firm in the UK is making new ones:

https://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/snokey-...a-3021.php

[Image: kxwFTxsxSc4o9g4fJAN804v02z.jpg]
(04-22-2022, 05:22 AM)KyleD Wrote: Be careful using the metal chuck. The spinning jaws are almost invisible and they will hurt you if you run your hand or a tool into them.

Yikes.  Thanks for pointing that out.
Steve
(04-22-2022, 01:07 PM)arnman Wrote:
(04-22-2022, 05:22 AM)KyleD Wrote: Be careful using the metal chuck. The spinning jaws are almost invisible and they will hurt you if you run your hand or a tool into them.

Yikes.  Thanks for pointing that out.

I was in a class taught by Richard Raffin along with one of the guys now teaching turning classes at the local Woodcraft.

That other student got careless and got a catch that bounced the tip of his spindle gouge into the chuck jaws. That was not really a bad problem until he used his fingers to check for damage to the jaws before the lathe finished spinning down. The gouge had raises a knife-edge on the corner of one of the jaws. The cuts were not horrendous, but it took a while for him to get the bleeding to slow down enough that he could use some bandaids as a pressure bandage and effectively stop the bleeding. He managed to borrow a metal file from the store and take the burrs off the jaws. It made everyone in the class a little less aggressive about how close we were working to the chuck.

Some of the people in our club take a hair scroungy and put it over the outside of the jaws. That way, a moment of carelessness means that you touch the scroungy and not the corner of a jaw.

Edited to add: KyleD's heads up also applies to any turnings that you do that have "wings." Turning a square plate is an easy example, but live-edge turnings can have that same issue to be aware of.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.