Pole Barn Post Rot Repair
Hey there,
Have you had rotted pole barn posts repaired? What system have you used and would you recommend it?

The least intrusive, least labor intensive, and probably the most cost effective method I've found thus far is to use steel sleeves like the ones installed by this company-
www.savagebuildingsystems.com

Have you had a repair done using this steel sleeve system?

Lastly, do you know of a company in the area of SE Indiana/SW Ohio that you would recommend for repairing/fortifying pole barn posts?

Open to recommendations here.
thanks in advance for your replies!
Ray
I had a couple in my barn. I sunk a hole next to it and sistered on a 6x6 with through bolts.
What is the original post? 4x4? 6x6? Laminated 8x8? Telephone pole?

How many are you looking to repair?

Are you willing to tackle this yourself or is this a checkbook job?

The only two methods I'm aware of are any kind of sistering and pouring a new foundation wall with embedded post anchors.
(04-07-2022, 01:23 PM)DieselDennis Wrote: What is the original post?  4x4? 6x6? Laminated 8x8?  Telephone pole? 

How many are you looking to repair? 

Are you willing to tackle this yourself or is this a checkbook job? 

The only two methods I'm aware of are any kind of sistering and pouring a new foundation wall with embedded post anchors.

6x6 PT posts
26 posts - that's how many are there. I was able to check a few and they are showing rot so I'm assuming all/most of them are in the same condition.
Check book - 

I would do some things like cut away some of the concrete floor around each of the posts and then fill back in. Beyond that it seems like the process gets very labor intensive very fast and I'd prefer to not take the time to do ALL of that work myself. If I can find someone in the area that does the steel sleeves that would probably be my preference for considerations of less time, less cost, and less mess. I'm sure the process of installing a concrete post underneath each one is the best option for the most longevity as that's the better construction method anyway, but that's also more $, more time, and more mess.

It seems that attaching a sister post is easiest method but also could be problematic as then the load is not transferred straight down under the post as originally designed to do. No?
Maybe do a sister post on each side of the original for even weight distribution? - either way, single or double sister posts, I would have that done on top of concrete footers.

I could do the work, but that's just a lot for one man to do and I want to enjoy working in the barn, not on restoring the barn.
Ray