DeWalt DW411 Dust Collection
The problem - The dust collection bag falls off.

After a few unsuccessful attempts at fixing this design flaw it occurred to me that I need to duplicate holding it in place with my finger.

A 3" hose clamp, two 4-40 bolts and a block of wood worked.

I have a 3d printed part from ThingVerse being made by a friend that will replace the bag with a vacuum hose adapter. This same assembly should keep it in place as well.

Bill

Attached Files Image(s)

I've had that sander since the early 80's in B&D professional livery and have been using the vac fitting since new.  I cannot ever recall it falling, slipping or getting nudged off in use.

Either your mounting flange or bag are worn out or were ill fitting or your technique is not compatible.  There is nothing wrong with the design.
(04-13-2022, 09:55 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: I've had that sander since the early 80's in B&D professional livery and have been using the vac fitting since new.  I cannot ever recall it falling, slipping or getting nudged off in use.

Either your mounting flange or bag are worn out or were ill fitting or your technique is not compatible.  There is nothing wrong with the design.

Please post a picture of your sander so I can see if mine is damaged. Also explain incompatible technique.

When parts fall off a tool when in use - which has been true of this device since day 1 - I don't think poor design should arbitrarily be discounted.

Thank you.
(04-13-2022, 09:55 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: I've had that sander since the early 80's in B&D professional livery and have been using the vac fitting since new.  I cannot ever recall it falling, slipping or getting nudged off in use.

I don't remember that falling off on mine, but the canister thingy on both of my DW random orbtitals vibrates itself off with great frequency.
(04-13-2022, 01:58 PM)wjt Wrote: Please post a picture of your sander so I can see if mine is damaged. Also explain incompatible technique.

When parts fall off a tool when in use - which has been true of this device since day 1 - I don't think poor design should arbitrarily be discounted.

Thank you.

Can’t post a pic for a while.  It’s at my lake house and we haven’t gone up to open it for the season yet. 

Poor technique could be anything from holding it this way or that , moving too fast , pressing too hard, tilting it, cord plugged into a less than ideal spot and catching on the bag and lifting it off , or …………….  

Since the design has been around for 3-4 decades and there has been no mass reporting that others experienced the same issue , it’s more likely yours is worn or suffers from poor QC -or- you’re  using it in a way that causes the bag to fall off.