Going off of Pedders post
(04-14-2022, 05:04 AM)Pedder Wrote: Ok, on a sliding dovetail saw (Gratsäge in Germany or Stairsaw in UK) the handle should be above the tooftline. But you won't cut sliding dovetails with a dovetail saw. Hte teeth will clogg soon.

this is what a comfortable sliding dovetail saw should look like:

[Image: IMG_0117.JPG]

Cheers
Pedder

I love it buddy alot, however how to you hold it and it looks like the teeth are for ripping.  I know looks are deceiving.  lol
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Hi Arlin, German, but you will get an impression: https://youtu.be/_GzfKY_bc6g?t=336

traditionally there was no saw with fleam in Germany. Crosscut was rake 15°-20°.
Theas bought Gratsägen are filed that way, to, Mine are crosscut. Und have a thinner Blade.

Cheers
Pedder
Pedder,

As the owner of one of your dovetail saws, I can testify to your skill and knowledge in this area.  I've always felt that your saw has the most comfortable handle of ANY of my saws.  (And I own saws by Disston, Bad Axe, Lie-Nielsen, Rob Cosman, Wenzloff and Sons, and even an Eccentric.)  

Earl
Thank you very much for the feedback, Earl!

Cheers
Pedder
(04-24-2022, 10:17 AM)Pedder Wrote: Hi Arlin, German, but you will get an impression: https://youtu.be/_GzfKY_bc6g?t=336

traditionally there was no saw with fleam in Germany. Crosscut was rake 15°-20°.
Theas bought Gratsägen are filed that way, to, Mine are crosscut. Und have a thinner Blade.

Cheers
Pedder

Thank you for the link.  I forgot most of the German my Grandparents and Aunts/Uncles spoke all the time.  I will have to refreash
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

Pedder

Loved the video and how it seemed to me the stair case saw made the better cut then the japanese saw did.  However I seen how the stair case saw was it seemed better supported by wood on wood but with the japanese saw it was metal on wood and the cut looked more ragged.

I caught a few woods here and there and will have to watch alot more German videos to get back into hearing it more.  Or maybe Babal CD.

Is it considered a Stair step saw or called something else?

Thanks Buddy

Arlin,

I'm not a goot funiture maker. So Ireaaly don't know if the Azebiki is better or the Gratsäge or Derek's mitre saw.

The last time I made a sliding dovetail (2010?), I didn't have made the Gratsäge and took the Festool TKS55 instead.
Worked wonderful. And really fast.

Gratsäge is the German term, and there is no direct comparable tool in UK/US. The closest ist the Stairsaw, but many of them are on the push stroke.

Cheers
Pedder
(05-09-2022, 08:37 AM)Pedder Wrote: I'm not a goot funiture maker. So Ireaaly don't know if the Azebiki is better or the Gratsäge or Derek's mitre saw.
I am not really a Japanese saw guru, although I admire them and the way they're made.

Arlin,

If you want to get a Japanese saw, get a Ryoba, it will most likely do everything you need to do. It has both crosscut and rip teeth on it and they cut very precisely.

I do have a couple Japanese saws and a Ryoba is a good one to have, I also have a Dozuki, and if you want one with a back on it, with teeth only on one side, get a Dozuki. I wouldn't get the Azebiki at all, you won't end up using it very much, IMO, but all of our mileage vary.

Why not get on Pedder's waiting list. Start saving some coin as you'll have time for him to build it. You will cherish the saw every time you use it, knowing it was made custom for your hand and for you personally. To me, if you don't make your own tool, having someone make it for you personally is the next best thing.
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
(05-09-2022, 03:51 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: I am not really a Japanese saw guru, although I admire them and the way they're made.

Arlin,

If you want to get a Japanese saw, get a Ryoba, it will most likely do everything you need to do. It has both crosscut and rip teeth on it and they cut very precisely.

I do have a couple Japanese saws and a Ryoba is a good one to have, I also have a Dozuki, and if you want one with a back on it, with teeth only on one side, get a Dozuki. I wouldn't get the Azebiki at all, you won't end up using it very much, IMO, but all of our mileage vary.

Why not get on Pedder's waiting list. Start saving some coin as you'll have time for him to build it. You will cherish the saw every time you use it, knowing it was made custom for your hand and for you personally. To me, if you don't make your own tool, having someone make it for you personally is the next best thing.

I would love to have one of the Japanese saws or Pedder's but helping the vets make me a poor man and we make do with what I can get.

Thanks for the suggestion tho

(04-24-2022, 10:17 AM)Pedder Wrote: Hi Arlin, German, but you will get an impression: https://youtu.be/_GzfKY_bc6g?t=336

Cheers
Pedder

Is it me or did that guy in the video appear to really struggle with that stair saw? I found that difficult to watch. Is that why you mentioned cross cut teeth, Pedder? Did I miss something. My German is rusty. I had trouble understanding what he was saying.