Going off of Pedders post
Adam, I think you get it right. Classic german saws don't know any fleam. That is certainly not ideal for crosscutting

Cheers
Pedder
(05-12-2022, 07:19 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I would love to have one of the Japanese saws or Pedder's but helping the vets make me a poor man and we make do with what I can get.

Thanks for the suggestion tho

Arlin,

I'm sorry to hear that you help more than you could afford. That isn't a good way to do it.
But I would like to learn more about it. Are you meeting on a regular basis? In your shop?
What are you doingwirth the Veterans? You should post more about it!
Right now I never rated the effort, America makes to defend free Europe, more than ever.

Arlin, I feel you're yearning for one of our saws for some time. If you have a free wish, what would it be?
What do you really need in the shop. Or not need but would really like?

Cheers
Pedder
(05-13-2022, 01:28 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: Is it me or did that guy in the video appear to really struggle with that stair saw? I found that difficult to watch. Is that why you mentioned cross cut teeth, Pedder? Did I miss something. My German is rusty. I had trouble understanding what he was saying.

I watched the video. He has much bigger problems than no fleam on his saw. It doesn't appear that he has done this kind of work enough to be able to demonstrate easily, a common theme on U-tube. The biggest problem is he has a St. Nicholas bench. It shakes when he works like a bowl full of jelly. He has a lot of misstarts and wasted effort.
(05-13-2022, 03:50 PM)Pedder Wrote: I'm sorry to hear that you help more than you could afford. That isn't a  good way to do it.
I couldn't agree more, but I can see how someone like Arlin could become emotional about it, I know quite a few vets from my rifle club, vets tend to support the 2A and while I'm not a vet, I do as well. The draft stopped just about 2 years before I reached age, I was either a freshman or sophmore when the draft was stopped. After 911 I got pretty patriotic and felt a lot stronger about our Constitution. I have helped a few out that are local and another in SoCal who used to breed Siberian Huskys. Unfortunately he took his life over PTSD, but I helped his widow out. Vets are some of the most loving towards their pets out of most all people. It really shows that most are good hearted people, even given what many have gone through.

I thought I had replied to this thread, but I don't see it so I must have only Previewed it and not posted it...

But I was offering a plate that Arlin could use to make a stair saw if he likes. You could use a backsaw like Derek shows above, I've done that and it works fine, I used a dovetail template to angle the tails, but I have seen it done by eye.

I would use a 13-14 tpi xcut plate as sliding dovetails are most often cut across the grain, as they are really weak cut with the grain.

Arlin, send me a PM if you would like a plate to cut up into a stair saw plate. Either TPI will work and there is not set so you could file it xcut or rip, however you like. You could also cut up an old saw if you have, but 'mo is better as I always say, and it would be better to keep any saw you have given your situation!
Wink
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
[@Arlin Eastman] (I think that might tag you)

See my PM, I have an offer for you.
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
(05-13-2022, 05:19 PM)wmickley Wrote: I watched the video. He has much bigger problems than no fleam on his saw. It doesn't appear that he has done this kind of work enough to be able to demonstrate easily, a common theme on U-tube. The biggest problem is he has a St. Nicholas bench. It shakes when he works like a bowl full of jelly. He has a lot of misstarts and wasted effort.

And heavy handed. He’s leaning over the work, supporting his upper body weight with the tool, which totally isn’t helping. Sometimes a lighter touch is required.

Also wasn’t impressed with the Gepetto chisel work. Looked sloppy.

When I’m demonstrating, I feel I’m representing our ancestors, their skill and common sense, their productivity and efficiency. I’m also representing the tool makers. Struggling with a tool like that craftsman did, reflects poorly not only on him, but on his tool and hand tools in general.

Pedder- we’ve been debating fleam for some time. We have no clear reference to it in English 18th c sources. Our assumption is that saw makers did not file it, but the users may have. I would assume all good craftsmen would have messed with their saws’ teeth.

I don’t really understand why anyone would use rip teeth for a tool that’s really designed to cut across grain. I would question if that’s really “traditional”. Said differently, I think you are right and justified to file your stair saws x-cut. And if it’s not clear, I think the video is an excellent example of what happens when you give a normal woodworker a handsaw that isn’t filed properly.
Quote:I don’t really understand why anyone would use rip teeth for a tool that’s really designed to cut across grain. I would question if that’s really “traditional”. Said differently, I think you are right and justified to file your stair saws x-cut. And if it’s not clear, I think the video is an excellent example of what happens when you give a normal woodworker a handsaw that isn’t filed properly.

I echo Warren’s comments about the woodworker and his rocky bench and ungainly stairsaw. The teeth looked to be too large, or the rake too vertical. 

He made the Azebiki look ineffectual. It cut cleanly but very slowly. Now the Azebiki is a double sided saw, with one side rip and the other crosscut … supposedly, because one is coarser than the other. However, this is a relative statement since the teeth on Japanese saws are generally smaller than Western saw equivalents. This is a time when I prefer to use the rip teeth when sawing across the grain. It cuts twice as fast for an insignificant loss of clean.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Like Pedders comment on this.

I always file some extra large teeth on the heel of my dt saws. I hold the saw backwards and pull to create a shoulder for all kinds of stopped cuts like 1/2 blinds, but not exclusively that. I think the big teeth on the stair saw is for a stopped dado.
The Azebiki is a very useful saw.

I modified a drawer back today, starting with the Azebiki to piece the board ...

[Image: 9.jpg]

... followed by a Ryoba ...

[Image: 10.jpg]

It left a surface which required minimal finish ...

[Image: 11.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Derek, I really like your suggestion of the Azebiki for a sliding dovetail. I've only done them once (on Schwarz's staked desk), and was having issues finding one of my saws that didn't have the handle interfere on one that large. I'll need to try that at some point.