Alternative to pressure treated
So I want to build a garden enclosure.
Bambi and all his relatives think they own the place and whatever is planted we did it for them.
Anyway my initial idea was 4 x 4 treated posts and hog wire. Easy enough but we have concerns with the chemicals in treated wood and I get that. The area is right next to our pond and we don’t bad stuff leaching into it.
Anyway went to our local cedar supplier to price out 8 foot 4 x 4’s
Holy crap! 60 bucks each !
Does that sound normal? I didn’t ask if it was rough or clear or tight knot or whatever.
The sales guy said there’s a home owners version of treated that doesn’t have all the bad stuff in it.
What do you all think of that? This place is strictly cedar and the other local place didn’t have “homeowners grade” CCA or nothing.
Anyway looking for any other ideas.
I’m tempted to bite the bullet and buy the cedar.
12 ft x 6 ft is the area

Thanks!
I just saw some neat brackets used on steel "T" posts to brace the corners. I saw them on YouTube on "Wild Wonderful Off-Grid" there latest vid titled "were halfway there" starting at 1:45 mins.  I have never used them but they look like the would last for ever.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
I suggest that you do some research. It has been a long time, but I think I remember reading that the pressure treating chemicals leach into the soil in very small quantities and they don't travel very far in a horizontal direction. Also, the newer ACQ (alkaline copper quaternary) is much safer than the old discontinued CCA (chromated copper arsenate). Also, I'm thinking that if your pond has a rubber liner, the water and critters in it would be protected.

You might also try a farm supply store and see what they have in galv. steel or something like that.
Thanks for the tips!!
I have used chicken wire on the ground about 4' around the outside of  the garden area to deter the deer.  They don't like getting their feet tangled up in it or so I was told. Seemed to work.  Not sure about other critters.  Could you use PVC for your posts.  Not sure about costs versus the treated lumber.  If you have a Habitat RESTORE place near you, it might have some in stock for a reasonable/bargain price.

Good luck
Black Locust is available in 4/4 and 8/4. It's what used to be used for fence posts and the farmers said that it would last 1 year longer than stone in the ground!
Captain Kirk was talking about my shop when he said: Space the final frontier!   
how about cedar fence posts?
The 8 foot fence I just built around my orchard/garden area I used 10' u channel sign posts I got from a local scrap yard for (I think) .60 cents a pound.  Not sure what each one actually cost but I believe it comparable to what a treated post normally cost (not what they cost the past couple of of years) and I painted the bottoms with a rustproofing paint before burying them so I doubt they'll fail in my lifetime.
Black Locust if you can find it but it will ruin your saws.
Pressure Treated lumber no longer has arsenic in it. It won't hurt you or your crop.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

I would check Craigslist or similar (Marketplace?) for used fencing. Or consider a "kennel" from lowes or tractor Supply. A quick search showed a 10' x 10' for $435, and you can drag it around (out of the way). Comes with a small "man door" but you can easily remove hdwr. from one corner and swing a whole side out of the way for tillers etc.. I bought a used 7' x 12' with a sun shade on top for a chicken run. Only cost me $150; The 2 x 6 PT and 1/2" hdwr. cloth around the bottom to prevent digging (both in and out) cost more than that and now that we're done doing chickens, I'm ready to sell it for what I paid 5 years ago.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"