8/4 Walnut
I have a slab 36" X 15" with bark, etc. on both edges. I'm thinking to cut a straight line as possible on the BS with resawing blade, clean it up on the jointer then cut the other side in the TS.

Anything wrong with this?

Jim
Jim
(04-16-2022, 07:52 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: I have a slab 36" X 15" with bark, etc. on both edges. I'm thinking to cut a straight line as possible on the BS with resawing blade, clean it up on the jointer then cut the other side in the TS.

Anything wrong with this?

Jim

Jim, nothing wrong, though what I do, especially if you are okay with losing an inch or two from each end is to attach a straght piece of stock to the board using screws at the very front and back, then hold the straight stock against the table saw fence and rip one edge, then remove the straight piece of stock, and turn the board around.  With a BS,  you will likely not have a perfectly straight cut.  BTW,  I keep the straight piece of stock in the back of the garage and have written rip guide on it in big letters on both sides so I remember not to use it for other projects.   This is similar to what I do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jHoc5Jnftg though the straight piece I use is normally not the full width of the stock
(04-16-2022, 08:50 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: Jim, nothing wrong, though what I do, especially if you are okay with losing an inch or two from each end is to attach a straght piece of stock to the board using screws at the very front and back, then hold the straight stock against the table saw fence and rip one edge, then remove the straight piece of stock, and turn the board around.  With a BS,  you will likely not have a perfectly straight cut.  BTW,  I keep the straight piece of stock in the back of the garage and have written rip guide on it in big letters on both sides so I remember not to use it for other projects.   This is similar to what I do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jHoc5Jnftg  though the straight piece I use is normally not the full width of the stock

Thanks Barry. Don't know why I didn't think of that.

Jim
Jim
(04-16-2022, 08:50 AM)barryvabeach Wrote: Jim, nothing wrong, though what I do, especially if you are okay with losing an inch or two from each end is to attach a straght piece of stock to the board using screws at the very front and back, then hold the straight stock against the table saw fence and rip one edge, then remove the straight piece of stock, and turn the board around.  With a BS,  you will likely not have a perfectly straight cut.  BTW,  I keep the straight piece of stock in the back of the garage and have written rip guide on it in big letters on both sides so I remember not to use it for other projects.   This is similar to what I do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jHoc5Jnftg  though the straight piece I use is normally not the full width of the stock

Barry,

I love this idea too! The only thing I would do is use my big butt toggle clamps screwed into 3/4" ply front & back so I don't have to screw into my board. It should be plenty strong to hold it.
I'm assuming you're ripping the board with the BS. If you have a track saw or even a circular saw, that's another option. Once you've made the cut to get one side straight, a trip to the jointer to flatten that edge, then to the table saw.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I did what Barry suggested and it worked fine. The screw holes aren't an issue because I left enough length on the board plus I'm making bookends with this and once I'm done with that it'll come out fine.

What are big butt toggle clamps? I can't seem to get a visual.

Jim
Jim
(04-18-2022, 08:53 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: I did what Barry suggested and it worked fine. The screw holes aren't an issue because I left enough length on the board plus I'm making bookends with this and once I'm done with that it'll come out fine.

What are big butt toggle clamps? I can't seem to get a visual.

Jim

I really need to proof read my stuff before posting. I don't know if it auto corrected or what. They are just big toggle clamps. Nothing worth seeing here. 
Laugh
Jim, in the video, he rests the board to be cut on top of the plywood straightedge.  On the ones that I did, i put the board to be cut on the table, and then just screwed the straight board to the side closest to the fence, the the board with a straight edge does not need to be very wide, just long, as and I pointed out in my post, I just marked it so that I could reuse it ,  and have used it several times on different boards.
(04-18-2022, 09:10 AM)Mike 55 Wrote: I really need to proof read my stuff before posting. I don't know if it auto corrected or what. They are just big toggle clamps. Nothing worth seeing here. 
Laugh

DAH! The light went on and I know what you're saying. Thanks 
Big Grin

Jim
Jim
(04-18-2022, 07:59 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: Jim, in the video, he rests the board to be cut on top of the plywood straightedge.  On the ones that I did, i put the board to be cut on the table, and then just screwed the straight board to the side closest to the fence, the the board with a straight edge does not need to be very wide, just long, as and I pointed out in my post, I just marked it so that I could reuse it ,  and have used it several times on different boards.

I too put the plywood on top of the 8/4 to be cut and it worked great. Thanks

Jim
Jim