Krenov Style Apron Planes
A little bit of an update. I used brass rod on all the planes and I'm very pleased with how they look. The Ebony wedges are rough cut and now it's time to enter the fit & finish stage.

(05-10-2022, 04:37 PM)Timberwerks Studio Wrote: A little bit of an update. I used brass rod on all the planes and I'm very pleased with how they look. The Ebony wedges are rough cut and now it's time to enter the fit & finish stage.
I think it looks great Dale, and the color difference between the blade and pin are not really noticeable to me, and more so the brass looks great with all the wood tones you used, IMO.

I think stainless would be an excellent choice, although it's super touch and harder to deal with, you could probably buy pins ground to a specific size to they fit your drill size well. So you might not have to even turn them on your lathe yourself.

Stainless is good as it will not rust, but it this case it has no contact with any other metal, so I think it would be an excellent choice. It's hard and tough metal to work though. Not like your laminating the blade together, it looks like you might be using a Japanese blade. I love my Japanese edge tools!

I suspect that blade is your own personal blade that doesn't come with the plane, as that blade could cost more than the plane by a magnitude for the right blade. I just use A2 for me chisels, have had them for 15 years possible, bought them at Japan Woodworker before they closed in Alameda.

They look XLNT! I'm sitting here wishing I would have ordered one, but I need it like I needed another Disston 3D vise or worse the Acme saw filer. I need to stay away from this place...it's less costly for me when I do...oh yea, that reminds me I bought some ebony from you also...
Rolleyes

I need to get a job so I can work and help pay for my rust habit...
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
(05-10-2022, 05:50 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: I think it looks great Dale, and the color difference between the blade and pin are not really noticeable to me, and more so the brass looks great with all the wood tones you used, IMO.

I think stainless would be an excellent choice, although it's super touch and harder to deal with, you could probably buy pins ground to a specific size to they fit your drill size well. So you might not have to even turn them on your lathe yourself.

Stainless is good as it will not rust, but it this case it has no contact with any other metal, so I think it would be an excellent choice. It's hard and tough metal to work though. Not like your laminating the blade together, it looks like you might be using a Japanese blade. I love my Japanese edge tools!

I suspect that blade is your own personal blade that doesn't come with the plane, as that blade could cost more than the plane by a magnitude for the right blade. I just use A2 for me chisels, have had them for 15 years possible, bought them at Japan Woodworker before they closed in Alameda.

They look XLNT! I'm sitting here wishing I would have ordered one, but I need it like I needed another Disston 3D vise or worse the Acme saw filer. I need to stay away from this place...it's less costly for me when I do...oh yea, that reminds me I bought some ebony from you also...
Rolleyes

I need to get a job so I can work and help pay for my rust habit...

Thanks Alan!

The blades are included with the planes. They are 1" Hock blades. Photo below is from first batch of all Ebony planes.

(05-10-2022, 06:37 PM)Timberwerks Studio Wrote: The blades are included with the planes. They are 1" Hock blades. Photo below is from first batch of all Ebony planes.
I remember you mentioning that before, must be above...gotta love people like me on the Internet that don't read well enough...
Rolleyes

That makes those planes a very good deal with a Hock blade.
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
I'm taking orders for batch 3 if anyone is interested. This batch will begin Memorial day weekend and head out at the end of June or so.
One last update until next weekend when I'll have photos of the finished planes. Now the focus is on prepping the Hock blades, fit the wedges and apply the finish. This batch will start shipping next weekend. Batch three, a total of six will start Memorial Day Weekend. Two of the six are already reserved. 

Thanks again guys!

Beauty and tool excellence!

"Resistance is useless if less than 1ohm"

My resistance weakens with each batch. I figure that my wallet is in trouble about batch 4 or 5.
Big Grin
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(05-12-2022, 10:31 PM)iclark Wrote: Beauty and tool excellence!

"Resistance is useless if less than 1ohm"

My resistance weakens with each batch. I figure that my wallet is in trouble about batch 4 or 5.
Big Grin

Thanks!

I started making these as a way to use small cutoffs. It's really a great sized plane to use for getting that perfect fit on doors etc. I have enough 1.5" x 1.5" x 7" Gaboon Ebony for 20 more bodies. After that I probably won't make anymore planes because the cost to purchase the Ebony would just be to high.
I just bought a small piece at macbeath hardwood in Berkeley- 31.07 a pound.
jerry
(05-14-2022, 10:05 AM)jcousins2 Wrote: I just bought a small piece at macbeath hardwood in Berkeley- 31.07 a pound.
jerry

I do have plenty of the 1.5" x .5" x 7" on hand. It's great for making pulls, Nakashima butterflies, Greene & Greene stuff etc. If anyone is interested see my knife scale / flats post.