Moxon Vise
Thinking about building/buying a Moxon vise. Went to Derek's web site and looked at the latest one he built; as usual a "masterpiece." I especially liked the flip-up shelf he added in the rear that accommodates the MicroJig clamps to hold the work down fast. Also looked at the plans from Wood River which are quite detailed and interesting.

The hardware (threaded rod and round handles) are available from several sources. Wood River has a kit with what looks like steel hand wheels but can't tell exactly what kind of metal they are. Of course Benchcrafted has a kit also, abeit kind of pricey. Am thinking about using some white oak I have on hand for the wooden pieces. Most I've seen online seem to use hard maple. Anyone know if the species of hardwood is important? Also would  appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on construction and or/hardware kits.

Thanks,

Doug
I made one about a year ago and have been very happy with it. So glad I made it. Just finished my 13th drawer with hand cut dovetails using it.

I used combo of walnut and ash, because that's the 8/4 scrap that I had on hand. I don't think the species matters, all long as it's not going to twist. So straight grain is good. I imagine that white oak should be fine.

Further details on mine with pictures can be found in the thread below. Only change I've made is a few more holes at the ends to hold more tools.
https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7362537

Share pictures when you're done!

Tyler
(04-16-2022, 08:43 PM)OneStaple Wrote: I made one about a year ago and have been very happy with it. So glad I made it. Just finished my 13th drawer with hand cut dovetails using it.

I used combo of walnut and ash, because that's the 8/4 scrap that I had on hand. I don't think the species matters, all long as it's not going to twist. So straight grain is good. I imagine that white oak should be fine.

Further details on mine with pictures can be found in the thread below. Only change I've made is a few more holes at the ends to hold more tools.
https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7362537

Share pictures when you're done!

Tyler

Nice looking vise, Tyler! And sounds like you're enjoying using it. Thanks for the comments.

Doug
I made and sold Derek the moxon hardware. Basically Wood Craft is selling the hardware for the same price I sold it for. $115 shipped. So I stopped making them. If there is enough interest I can make a few more sets.

Rods are 3/4-6 acme and are 8 inches long. Wheels are cast iron.

Tom

Attached Files Image(s)

You can use any hardwood you want to.  I had some walnut, and not being a fan of walnut I used it to make the wooden parts. Here is another good use for walnut.

Tom
Tools for Working Wood has hardware for sale. I used that kit for one Moxon and I re-did Grizzly bench screws for a second (needed to make garters, if that is the right word). Why do I need two Moxon’s? Well, doesn’t everyone?
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I have the Benchcrafted hardware so I can't really comment on the other options (I purchased it shortly after it came out and from what I recall they were the only "kit" option at the time).

I haven't used mine a ton, and Derek's looks awesome, but the one modification I would definitely make is beveling all the faces of the front face (or something fancier like Derek's). Definitely do the top part, but the advantage of doing all four is you lose some weight on the vise, which makes it easier to pick up and maneuver, and less tippy when clamping it to the bench. The weight thing is probably dependant on the wood you use (I used maple, so mine isn't light). And I store mine tucked awkwardly under my bench, so being able to maneuver it easily is helpful.

I don't have the ears out to the side for clamping, but can totally understand that being helpful if you clamp it down (I use holdfasts so for me this has not been an issue).

Mark

Derek,

If you're out there, you mentioned that the "chop runs on bronze bearings." I see them in your photos. Did you buy them? Or maybe Tom, you made them? Just curious, as it seems like it would be nice to have them bear on something besides just the holes in the wooden faces.

Thanks,

Doug
(04-17-2022, 11:15 AM)Tapper Wrote: Derek,

If you're out there, you mentioned that the "chop runs on bronze bearings." I see them in your photos. Did you buy them? Or maybe Tom, you made them? Just curious, as it seems like it would be nice to have them bear on something besides just the holes in the wooden faces.

Thanks,

Doug

Hi Doug

Actually, I wrote "The chop runs on bronze bushings ...". I may have purchased them from eBay or a boat shop.

These are bronze sleeves, and the reason I used them was that I did not fancy steel threads running over wood. 

[Image: The-Last-Moxon-html-m3683e185.jpg]

The bushing were a slip fit, and this proved to be a mistake. There needs to be slop otherwise the chop will bind. Consequently, I wound up removing metal from the inside of these nice bushings to get the desired slop. 
Smirk

[Image: M14a.jpg]

Rear spacer ...

[Image: The-Last-Moxon-html-mb3c51be.jpg]

The spacer as a hold down ...

[Image: Entry-Hall-Table-For-ANiece2-html-m240a82df.jpg]

What may get missed is that there are springs internally. This is a really great addition (note that these "" springs collapse on themselves, unlike parallel springs) ...

[Image: Moxon-spring4.jpg]

Link to build:  http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeToo...Moxon.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
You may want to investigate McMaster Carr for some of the hardware (screws, handwheels, etc.). Might be cheaper than buying a kit. Tools for Working Wood sells a Moxon vise (screws and clamp handles) kit for $69.95. The clamp handles serve the same purpose as the handwheels in other kits.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill