Moxon Vise
Derek Cohen wrote:

Actually, I wrote "The chop runs on bronze bushings ...".

OK, so it was "bushings" - my bad. Did the bushings come with the diamond plates attached or is that something you did for effect? Do you have a specific source for these bushings? McMaster Carr?

Thanks,

Doug

Edit - Maybe I found them? McMaster Carr
Doug, with the exception of the brass knob, all the brass fittings were made by myself.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
I recently built a moxon vise in the last year or so. I went with the hardware kit from tools for working wood. A good price and a couple other nice features, like the screws don't stick out the front when you tighten them, and the nuts are rectangles and not hexagons.

The wood is a mix of 2x pine and 5/4 maple, working ok.

I used cork/rubber gasket material from auto supply store to line faces, applied with hide glue.
(04-18-2022, 06:55 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Doug, with the exception of the brass knob, all the brass fittings were made by myself.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek - just another "lovely" job! I'll probably "pillage" a few of your design cues. 
Rolleyes 

Doug
BTW, is there any "optimum" width for the boards? I've seen all the way from 6" to around 8".

Doug
For mine, I wanted 24" between screws because I figured that would be the widest thing I would dovetail.

Edit:duh width. I just did 4" width hard maple since it's what I had on hand.
(04-19-2022, 10:12 AM)only 3 injuries Wrote: For mine, I wanted 24" between screws because I figured that would be the widest thing I would dovetail.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. When I mentioned the "width" of the boards I meant how tall they are; for example Length could be 24", width could be 7" and thickness could be 1 3/4". Hope this is clearer.

Doug
Sorry, i misread.

Mine are 4" wide and haven't been a problem.
No other comments or suggestions on the height of the chop?

Doug
Dimensions of my Moxon vise:

The width of the vise is narrower than my previous one, but capable of 450mm (17 3/4") between the screws. Most cases I built are between 350 - 450mm deep. My previous Moxon could do 560mm (22") between the screws. This is unnecessary, and just makes for a very large fixture.

Where the old Moxon used wooden screws, which I turned, this uses steel Acme screws and iron wheels ala BenchCrafted ... except that these came via Tom Bussey (thanks Tom), which amounted to a large savings. The wheels are 5" in diameter on a 3/4" Acme screw.

The front chop is 5 1/2" high, which is necessary because of the wheel size. The chop must clear the wheels.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com