Krenov Style Apron Planes
Oops, I though I posted this here yesterday but I posted in Woodworking instead. Anyway, I started on my second batch of Krenov style apron planes yesterday. I'm making the apron planes because it's a great way to use small cut offs I have. These use a 1" Hock blade. All the bodies are made of Gaboon Ebony, sides are either the same Ebony or, Cocoblo, Bubinga, East Indian Rosewood, Curly Maple or what ever good wearing hardwood that compliments the Ebony. Wedge pins are a hybrid style.

(04-17-2022, 08:03 AM)Timberwerks Studio Wrote: Oops, I though I posted this here yesterday but I posted in Woodworking instead. Anyway, I started on my second batch of Krenov style apron planes yesterday. I'm making the apron planes because it's a great way to use small cut offs I have. These use a 1" Hock blade. All the bodies are made of Gaboon Ebony, sides are either the same Ebony or, Cocoblo, Bubinga, East Indian Rosewood, Curly Maple or what ever good wearing hardwood that compliments the Ebony. Wedge pins are a hybrid style.

Gorgeous work! You have created some beautiful planes that will do good work and last several lifetimes. Love it, good job!
(04-17-2022, 08:03 AM)Timberwerks Studio Wrote: Oops, I though I posted this here yesterday but I posted in Woodworking instead. Anyway, I started on my second batch of Krenov style apron planes yesterday. I'm making the apron planes because it's a great way to use small cut offs I have. These use a 1" Hock blade. All the bodies are made of Gaboon Ebony, sides are either the same Ebony or, Cocoblo, Bubinga, East Indian Rosewood, Curly Maple or what ever good wearing hardwood that compliments the Ebony. Wedge pins are a hybrid style.

It's a fun addiction, isn't it? Nothing like making a piece with tools you built. I'm curious, all 4 seem to be about the same, or the outer 2 might be wider (not sure if real or lend distortion). Are there basic differences (width, bed angle, whatever) or else why so many of them?

[EDIT] I just saw your swap and sell listing
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(04-17-2022, 01:09 PM)Aram Wrote: It's a fun addiction, isn't it? Nothing like making a piece with tools you built. I'm curious, all 4 seem to be about the same, or the outer 2 might be wider (not sure if real or lend distortion). Are there basic differences (width, bed angle, whatever) or else why so many of them?

[EDIT] I just saw your swap and sell listing

I figured I'd make a number of them to sell. This size plane I use often for fitting panels and doors etc. I think others will find it useful as well and seeing I have a fair amount of small cutoffs to use it seemed like a good fit. The Ebony is Ideal for the these planes because it's such a hard wood that will hold up to wear over time and it's looks great. The fine Ebony dust gets to me after awhile though and clings to everything in the area.
(04-17-2022, 04:11 PM)Timberwerks Studio Wrote: I figured I'd make a number of them to sell.
I'd keep 'em all and purpose them for specific tasks. I love ebony. Interesting to know what you figure the cost is per plane for the ebony alone if you don't mind sharing?

Or if you might share where you bought it?

I would like to buy some pieces for tools I want to build. An infill would be the shizzle! I don't have anything big enough, I only have a couple pieces of ebony and I was more interested in material for saw handles, so both pieces are 13/16" thick. I need some chunky...[EDIT: I could laminate I suppose...but that's like cheating...LOL And, I'm trying to come up with an excuse to buy some for the future]

I'm going to try and buy a hardwoods for kitchen and bathroom cabinets, shelving, stuff like that. I have plenty of hardwoods for tools that I need, even have some really cool figured for panels already.

But Ebony is a tough one to find in the solid dark black...that stuff looks the shizzle when it's French Polished...like Konrad Sauer does. I would even spend the $$$s to get the bronze, and Ivory inlays, a lot of cool things I hope to try, but I was just looking over Derek's page on his Krenov style planes. I have so many iron planes and some wood ones, so it's not a immediate need for me. Just reminded me of how I screwed up and didn't buy a plane from Krenov when he last offered them and when Derek bought his. I remember it was $395, damnit...I remember how his planes looked, pretty crude...the ones Derek made had beautiful hardwood and were nicer, but Krenov's was built to function, period. His work that he did with them was not like that at all. I never got to meet him, but most of my friends I grew up with live in the area, he was a legend from NorCal. His work is very creative, which is what you would expect from NorCal. He fit right in. His style was so distinctive and I just love his life story, the people he taught, etc...same for Maloof for me in a different way...or Stickley, Morse, Shaker, Craftsmen, et al, I also want to create my own and willing to take risks in design. I have no idea where I will end up, but it will be in Lake County which is NorCal. I think I'll fit right in! LOL
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
(04-17-2022, 08:55 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: I'd keep 'em all and purpose them for specific tasks. I love ebony. Interesting to know what you figure the cost is per plane for the ebony alone if you don't mind sharing?

Or if you might share where you bought it?

I would like to buy some pieces for tools I want to build. An infill would be the shizzle! I don't have anything big enough, I only have a couple pieces of ebony and I was more interested in material for saw handles, so both pieces are 13/16" thick. I need some chunky...[EDIT: I could laminate I suppose...but that's like cheating...LOL And, I'm trying to come up with an excuse to buy some for the future]

I'm going to try and buy a hardwoods for kitchen and bathroom cabinets, shelving, stuff like that. I have plenty of hardwoods for tools that I need, even have some really cool figured for panels already.

But Ebony is a tough one to find in the solid dark black...that stuff looks the shizzle when it's French Polished...like Konrad Sauer does. I would even spend the $$$s to get the bronze, and Ivory inlays, a lot of cool things I hope to try, but I was just looking over Derek's page on his Krenov style planes. I have so many iron planes and some wood ones, so it's not a immediate need for me. Just reminded me of how I screwed up and didn't buy a plane from Krenov when he last offered them and when Derek bought his. I remember it was $395, damnit...I remember how his planes looked, pretty crude...the ones Derek made had beautiful hardwood and were nicer, but Krenov's was built to function, period. His work that he did with them was not like that at all. I never got to meet him, but most of my friends I grew up with live in the area, he was a legend from NorCal. His work is very creative, which is what you would expect from NorCal. He fit right in. His style was so distinctive and I just love his life story, the people he taught, etc...same for Maloof for me in a different way...or Stickley, Morse, Shaker, Craftsmen, et al, I also want to create my own and willing to take risks in design. I have no idea where I will end up, but it will be in Lake County which is NorCal. I think I'll fit right in! LOL

Hi Alan

The Ebony I have is all smaller pieces most is knife scale size some are 7" x 1.5" square this is what I'm using for the Krenov planes. I received this Ebony years ago from a wood turner that specialized in segmented turning. He could no longer work with it because of how the fine dust affected is sinuses and lungs. I traded him log milling service and lumber for what he had. I've been using it here and there over the years for Nakashima butterflies, door pulls etc and figured small planes would be interesting too.
Quote:The Ebony I have is all smaller pieces most is knife scale size some are 7" x 1.5" square this is what I'm using for the Krenov planes. I received this Ebony years ago from a wood turner that specialized in segmented turning. He could no longer work with it because of how the fine dust affected is sinuses and lungs. I traded him log milling service and lumber for what he had. I've been using it here and there over the years for Nakashima butterflies, door pulls etc and figured small planes would be interesting too.
Now you're teasing me!!!

I also want some for that type of details, I love the Greene & Greene and follow Darrell Peart, if you follow that genre of woodworking. Ebony looks really cool in the pyramid plugs and splines, Darrell has been doing some CNC type joinery with wavy miters and a nice piece of ebony split through the entire corner. He does most all of it on power tools though. For me, I'm ok with tracing and chopping out butterflies with chisels, as an example, even cutting them with a fret saw and cleaning up.

I haven't even looked at any type of exotic woods lately, but Ebony is something i would buy at the right price.

Oh, I should mention, I have very similar looking pieces with sap that I keep under my laptop, to allow air to flow. It doesn't get too hot, but I have had some really hot ones...anyway, my strips are just over 1/4" thick and just over 2" is with. I'm not sure if they're cocobolo or some rosewood, I have a bunch of various pieces. I originally bought them to use as fish scales for Perfect Handle screw drivers. I also have a couple pipe wrenches and some heavy vintage any-16ths wrench. for some machine stuff they're actually better than a Crescent with the solid square jaws. Mine all have original handles waiting for me to retire...LOL

I've got my hands full building a shop, but I will now be able to have an area for hand tool work separated from any power machines. I will be able to do all the dimensioning with my machines and all the layout, fitting and assembly in the hand tool shop. I want a 10' workbench this time, split top. I have most of the vises, but haven't bought a few things yet for a removable leg vise. The thing I want which I don't have, and think it will be very useful for inlay work is an LED magnifying light. I have an OptiVisor I use mostly with 3.0x

What type of side wood is that? On mine the interesting thing is that even though they are only 1/4" thick, the amount of sap varies a lot between each side on both, so one side has a lot more sap, up to 50 percent, but very little on the other side.Kind of odd cut/section of the tree. Probably what was left after the tree was quarter sawn and sold to to acoustic guitar makers at ridiculous prices. I do have a small apron plane that Steve Knight made for me. It's made out of amboyna burl, it's a great little plane. I have some more of it, just a small qty, but that amboyna I have smells so fresh and fruity when you work it, it's my favorite burl. It could be good for inlays in certain colored woods also.

The Krenov style seems more ergonomic to me though, but I would never part with Knight plane, I had to wait forever to get it, but I'd never part with it now.. If I made those like you're doing I would have a hard time parting with them, as I said...
Rolleyes I always have told my wife, "I'll buy this and sell the other one I have..." but it never seems to happen, I hate to sell anything...LOL
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
Alan, if you are interested in some Ebony keep me posted a pack of 8 scales / flats is $50.00 shipped via priority. It is very black and of high quality. I did have some one order a couple packs for Greene & Greene like you had mention. Luthiers have also ordered for use as acoustic guitar bridges. Along with the Krenov planes I will use some in keepsake boxes a design element.
(04-18-2022, 03:37 PM)Timberwerks Studio Wrote: Alan, if you are interested in some Ebony keep me posted a pack of 8 scales / flats is $50.00 shipped via priority. It is very black and of high quality. I did have some one order a couple packs for Greene & Greene like you had mention. Luthiers have also ordered for use as acoustic guitar bridges.  Along with the Krenov planes I will use some in keepsake boxes a design element.

Yes, I sent you a PM, let me know what you have left and maybe we can do a package on it.
Alan