Mikiway MBS-300
Hey everyone.  
First post here & thanks in advance for any insight.

Quick background - It's been a very long time since I have done any real wood working or construction.  I was a machinist for a bit, then got suckered into inspection and now I am a quality engineer.  For all intents and purposes I am an noob... but am going to youtube university
Big Grin.

Goals in woodworking - mostly furniture in the near & not so near future.  Cabinets as well.  I'll be cashing out my assets in about 5 years to build my last house myself.  I'll be working from a 2 car garage until then.  No 220v, however I have a cousin that is an electrician so not impossible to get relatively easily.

So the question - 

Guy about 150 miles away has a Mikiway MBS-300 for sale.  It is a very good deal based on sales price (well under $1000) vs retail price.  Plus it comes with a power feeder (that I am not too interested in).

The pictures are horrible and I'm waiting for a reply on my questions to him (sliding carriage, top condition, power/wiring).  I don't think he knows what he has to be honest.

This saw is probably too much for what I need right now, if not ever.  The price is too good to pass up though I think & for some reason I really like the idea of the sliding carriages the euro/nz/sa/aus side of the world uses.

I guess I am asking for general advice on getting a saw like this for my purposes.  Advice on what to look for/questions to ask.  Does anyone here have experience with or knowledge about the brand?

Again,
Thanks in advance.
Howdy and welcome aboard.  Not from the US I take it?  That saw is a fairly generic table saw made in Taiwan. Should be fine for quite a variety of woodworking.  I was able to google it and saw a few links with pictures, I think even Sears sold a version of it back in the 90's as one of their Craftsman industrial models as if Craftsman was ever used in industry.

In general a table saw does a few things well and some other things not so well.  It can cut larger panels down to size, but you can only go so big before they get unwieldly.  Track saws are what folks use for a lot of that now.

It can crosscut pieces but again, only just so long.  Radial arm saws and now miter saws do most of that.

It does very well for rip cuts and mortises.  Jigs that can ride in the miter grooves add a lot of utility.  So I would say its probably a good start, but I wouldnt expect it to be your only tool if you get into the hobby.
Thanks for the welcome, reply & run down ET.

Actually, Colorado - born, raised, residing.

I have some table saw experience, mostly years ago. Grew up with a radial arm saw and hand tools. I originally went to art school and got my hands on all kinds of tools there (fully equipped metal and wood shops). I was doing resin art in the 90s for school projects.

I like the idea of euro style sliding saws - I am not sure why. I had seen retail on this mikiway saw was over 4k (ish depending on exchange rate) & got good reviews. it's a 12in blade & at least 3hp (i'm guessing since it is being used here in the US it is 3hp 220v - as the miki has a 5hp that requires 440).

I was just worried that it was too much saw.

My plan is skip the track saw - I have a circ saw with guide that works fine for breaking down sheet goods. i was looking at the new rigid/delta contractor saw when I saw this mikiway pop up for sale. Also a drill press that I already have (I can't free hand a drill to save my life) and bandsaw (artistic cuts and such). A miter saw is in the future, I was thinking miter jig on the table saw would get me by until then.
I'd look it over very carefully.  The parts for that particular saw may not be easy to come by in the event you need one.  

I'm with you on the track saw thing. They are good for cutting sheet goods and other flat stock but they don't fare as well in the rough stock arena.  

Welcome to the forum
(04-18-2022, 07:31 PM)EvilTwin Wrote: Howdy and welcome aboard.  Not from the US I take it?  That saw is a fairly generic table saw made in Taiwan. Should be fine for quite a variety of woodworking.  I was able to google it and saw a few links with pictures, I think even Sears sold a version of it back in the 90's as one of their Craftsman industrial models as if Craftsman was ever used in industry.

In general a table saw does a few things well and some other things not so well.  It can cut larger panels down to size, but you can only go so big before they get unwieldly.  Track saws are what folks use for a lot of that now.

It can crosscut pieces but again, only just so long.  Radial arm saws and now miter saws do most of that.

It does very well for rip cuts and mortises.  Jigs that can ride in the miter grooves add a lot of utility.  So I would say its probably a good start, but I wouldnt expect it to be your only tool if you get into the hobby.

To the OP - Good luck with the quest. I know little about tablesaws with sliding tables. Some guys here swear by them. 

I've had several tablesaws in my woodworking life. I now have the last one I'll ever have - Sawstop PCS. In my opinion tablesaws are the "anchor" of any shop. Even hand tool aficionados use them for certain tasks around the shop. I would never even consider giving mine up. I will agree that most tablesaws are unwieldy with large panels. I usually buy 4x8 stock at the Big Box stores and have them break it down on their panel saw before taking it home. I also have a panel sled patterned after the one Norm used on the NYW; very handy.

Track saws (I don't have one and probably never will) are a specialty item IMO. They do pretty much one thing, and one thing only. They cut very straight lines in long stock. I suppose they are good at that but I would not want to depend on it as my "go to" tool in the shop for cutting material. RAS much more handy and versatile for lots of things, including ripping long stock, again IMO.

Doug
thanks for the welcomes and replies.

i have reached out to the manufacturer for parts &/or a US distributor... no reply.

moot though - i have yet to receive a reply from the seller about my inquiries.

so, back to probably getting the delta 725-t2 or ridgid 4560.
Between Delta and Rigid, I would go Delta. I like the fence better and other sources say the saw is a good saw. 

Tom