forum category for professionals
While my post count may not reflect it, I've been on this forum for close to 15 years. I've also been on many other forums for other topics and this one is by far the most friendly and helpful. As a hobbyist it has always served me well. Now that I've taken the plunge into professional woodworking, I find myself with endless questions all about the grind of the small, professional shop. I know there are many other pros on the forum and I think a category where we could all discuss some of the common issues we all face would be a great addition to Woodnet. I imagine topics like writing and getting feedback on estimates, dealing with clients, or managing the logistics of large projects. I'm not sure who to lobby for this type of thing but I figured I'd throw it out there to see what kind of traction it gets.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
Why not just post your questions here? Those who are interested will answer and those who aren't won't.
You could even use your own version of an ITT prefix like Piggly did.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(04-19-2022, 09:16 AM)sweensdv2 Wrote: Why not just post your questions here? Those who are interested will answer and those who aren't won't.

Well of course I could just post here but I kind of thought there might be enough interest to start a dedicated category. I figure there must be at least as much interest as there is in the 'Finishing' category. I check in there once in a while and it's pretty slow. I don't really know how and why a new category is added so part of me is just curious.

(04-19-2022, 08:39 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: You could even use your own version of an ITT prefix like Piggly did.

I don't know what an ITT prefix is? Could you elaborate a bit? Is it just some text that would go in the subject line?

I would expect that if there was a lot of discussion on a subject, that subject might become a candidate for a new category.
(04-19-2022, 08:39 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: You could even use your own version of an ITT prefix like Piggly did.

Why don't we use the "brick" icon to denote a 'brick-and-mortar' topic as in "store or professional sales"?

[Image: brick.png]

The mods may have to bless this new practice.
(04-19-2022, 11:23 PM)Alan S Wrote: I would expect that if there was a lot of discussion on a subject, that subject might become a candidate for a new category.

I have not been here long enough to have been through the experience of adding a dedicated forum. That said, demonstrating an active participation discussion area would seem a good way to either show a need or to have people not interested in the area ask for it to be moved to its own forum section.

The concept of a 3-character, all-caps (if letters) subject prefix to help focus threads is fine. Preferably, it should be unique enough to make it easy to search for in the future. (PRO would be a bad choice because it appears in as a string in way too many words for it to be useful). You can do a sanity check on any candidate 3-character by doing a google search for the 3-character set on site:woodnet.net

Personally, I would discourage the use of graphics in the subject other than the already existing choices for subject prefix.

Also, primary emphasis should be on woodworking-related businesses unless you take it to Off-Topic. That would not prevent people running other businesses from chiming in in response to questions.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(04-19-2022, 09:06 PM)mr_skittle Wrote: I don't know what an ITT prefix is? Could you elaborate a bit? Is it just some text that would go in the subject line?

Speckled pig used to use ITT as a prefix for In This Thread and it was almost exclusively used by him when he started a discussion.

MMQ: for Money-Making questions?
RAB: for Running a Business?

Some such format which becomes yours.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
The finishing forum is a good example:

It is a vestige of days gone by.

At one point, there was a groundswell of people asking for it, and it was pretty lively, then it kind of wore itself out.

In my opinion, and not as a moderator, I would say the home improvement forum has a good number of pros mixed in and there have been discussions there like the ones you cited as possible.

Woodturning has a few guys who have profitable businesses or side business in turning.

Lastly, don't under estimate the business accumen of the folks in the off topic forum - from legal to accounting to management, there is a lot of good experience there.

Again, just my opinion,
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

- Winnie the Pooh, as relayed through Author A. A. Milne