Table saw
I ran a Uni-saw with the Uni-fence for almost 30 years and found that it was easy to adjust and held its settings well. The hi-lo fence position was very handy and more often than not, I kept it in the lo position. Adding jigs can be a bit difficult, but I remedied that by purchasing the Peach Tree "Uni-T-Fence".

https://www.ptreeusa.com/tablesaw_unifence.html

Cannot tell for certain, but make sure it has the plastic indicators to read the fence position in relation to the measuring tape. How to make your own cursor -- old style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQqjELNstw4

From what I am told, the new style cursor has mounting holes on the top.

I made a mistake and sold the Uni-saw  with the Uni-fence when I purchased a SawStop ICS. Should have kept he fence and mounted it on the SawStop.  I wish SawStop would offer a Uni-fence clone for its saws.
(04-20-2022, 08:41 AM)Gregor1 Wrote: Greg

My vote would be for a SawStop. I had a Delta (made in the US model) and about 15 years ago switched to the SS 3hp saw. The automatic brake was a big factor in the decision. I've also found the SS to be a nicer saw to use.  The UniSaw required wrenches to remove/install the splitter which was a damned nuisance, resulting in normally using the saw without it. The only complaint I have with the SawStop is the blade guard/dust catcher. I've ordered the Harvey overhead blade guard, it's been shipped and I'm looking forward to getting it installed. Darned pricey unit, but I think it will be an improvement over the SS guard. I'll post a review of it after I get it installed and have used it for a while.
The reason your blade guard doesnt work.......is likely because you hook it to the collector through the supplied chute which has a 90 deg elbow and your dust collector is less than 5HP. Everyone I know whose collector is 2 or 3HP solved that problem by attaching the blade guard hose to a shop vac. Sawstop used a huge industrial dust collector to test the design, and made the blade guard look weak to most hobby shop users in actual use. Alternatively in place of the shop vac solution, you will see some improvement if the elbow angle is changed to 45 deg.

Simon
The splitter on my Unisaw has a thumb screw.  No tools needed.  I guess it depends on which one you get.  I've had mine so long I can't recall which it is.  

On another note, there are some very creative people over at OWWM.org that have retrofitted their Unisaws with actual riving knives.  They are pretty ingenious.
Greg, I'm just catching up on this thread. Couple of things: CONGRATS on the Unisaw, you did good! The white (ivory, whatever) ones are not all that common and were marketed in the mid 90s with a picture of Norm standing by them. There was a time when Delta though marketing a new model meant all you did was paint it a different color, this was one of them. I had a follow up model painted a silver and they called that one a "Platinum" edition....I think the one you got was a "Special" edition (memory might be failing me). Anyway, it's a great saw. For the fence, I had the unifence on my first saw... a Delta contractor saw. I moved to a Unisaw just so I could get a Unifence on it. They are great, and you're not giving up anything to the Bies or it's clones. Ray mentioned the Uni T fence earlier, it's a great addition to that fence. I had one and switched back and forth between it and the sock fence as needs dictated. Good luck, and enjoy!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I have the Uni-fence on one of mine (It's older sister has the original fence that clamps to round rails front and back). I would never consider swapping it for a Bies. I would buy the "Uni-T-Fence" rail from Peachtree for $100 if I found a need for fence mounted jigs that wouldn't work on the Uni-fence rail though.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(05-02-2022, 04:43 AM)Gregor1 Wrote: I have read and heard that a 52" Biesemeyer fence is the ultimate in both accuracy and stability, when it comes to table saw fences. Is it worth the 3 - 5 hundred dollar cost to upgrade from my Delta Unisaw fence? I don't mind spending money for good tools. I believe that your quality of work, depends a great deal on your quality of tools. Your opinions please.

Thanks
Greg

I have the same saw I bought new in 2001 with the unifence.  The fence is excellent and will serve you well, equal to - or in some cases better than - the Bies, at least in my opinion but I've been using the unifence for so long I'm prejudiced.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
There is always the home grown option for the Unifence as well.  The "Bigafence"  is something I was planning to build at one time when I had more time to do it.  

Bigafence page

[Image: bigafence.jpg]
I replaced my Unisaw with a slider and then replaced the clunky Bies style fence on the slider with a Unifence, I also have both the long and short Uni-T fences. I'm just sorry I'm too old to enjoy that stuff anymore. Unisaws rock and so does the fence...
(05-10-2022, 08:28 AM)stav Wrote: There is always the home grown option for the Unifence as well.  The "Bigafence"  is something I was planning to build at one time when I had more time to do it.  

Bigafence page

[Image: bigafence.jpg]
That's an old style Unifence, steel rail and iron head. Nice stuff