Gluing up
I keep my garagre at 70 degrees minimum. Humidity is less than 50% right now. 25 years ago when edge gluing boards together, we always let them sit over night, before planing. Is that still necessary with today glues? I use Titebond II Premium Wood Glue.
Greg
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut, and have the world think you a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
It's best to let them dry at least 8 to 12 hours, and longer is always better.  The issue is not whether or not the glue bond is strong enough for subsequent processing, it is, the issue is that the wood fibers at the joint might still be swollen.  If you plane the panel flat, but the wood at the joint was swollen, it will shrink when it dries and leave a sunken area along the joint.  

John
Titebond still says 24 hours for max strength of the bond, so that's usually what I go with for anything that relies on the glue for it's structural integrity. Things not bearing a load or secured by mechanical methods, I will sometimes remove any clamps after a few hours.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
I usually let things set for 24 hours give or take a little time. If I error it is usually to the long side of time. If you edge glue with biscuits I would let it dry for a coupe of weeks other wise there is not much glue in a edge glues piece so I would worry about wood swelling. John is right.

Tom
No.

I edge glue boards weekly. 2 hours max and they are through the planner. Ill go as little as an hour if its a good true joint using Original TB or TB2

Sure longer cure time wont hurt, just in my world its wasted time.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(04-21-2022, 01:27 PM)JohnnyEgo Wrote: Titebond still says 24 hours for max strength of the bond, so that's usually what I go with for anything that relies on the glue for it's structural integrity. Things not bearing a load or secured by mechanical methods, I will sometimes remove any clamps after a few hours.

Me too

Jim
Jim
Had one project where glueups were going thru the drumsander in a hour. Regular TB, no issues at all.

Ed
(04-21-2022, 09:08 AM)jteneyck Wrote: It's best to let them dry at least 8 to 12 hours, and longer is always better.  The issue is not whether or not the glue bond is strong enough for subsequent processing, it is, the issue is that the wood fibers at the joint might still be swollen.  If you plane the panel flat, but the wood at the joint was swollen, it will shrink when it dries and leave a sunken area along the joint.  

John

I've been bit by this consequence of impatience in years past.  I could clearly see a slight little groove along the joint line after the finish had been cured and polished.  A lot of people wouldn't notice it, but I did and I knew exactly why it was there.  The annoying part was that all joints in the glued up table top didn't shrink like one joint did.  I'd have to conclude that the groove, slight as it may be, is a risk rather than a sure think.
Overnight has been my curing time. So mostly 10 to 14 hours, but never 24 hours by plan. Sometimes 6 to 8 hours if the job is urgent.

Wood swellening issues sound possible though I've never experienced them.

Simon
I know the bottle of Titebond glue says to leave in the clamps for a minimum of 30 minutes, and do not stress the joint for 24 hours.  I usually leave the clue up in the clamps long enough for the glue to set up enough so that I can slice the glue off with a sharp, very cheap chisel. The chisel cleans off with water, or a wire brush on a grinder if I happen to get busy and forget forget. I also use the chisel to scrap the joint as clean as possible. 

If the project is going to have force exerted on it I tend to follow the 24 hour rule. If it is a flat panel not so much so but it also depends on the projects application. I may have 3 or 4 panels to glue up and do the the number of clamps it can draw out the time in between taking the glue up out of the clamps and working the panel. 

Due to my age and the fact that life seems to get in the way it is usually the next day by the time I get around continuing even on a panel. When I was working if I glued a panel up it was usually the next day after work before I could get back to it if I was lucky. There was always a lot of things that that had to take presentenced over a hobby. Usually I got back to it when I could so the time  may be a few hours or days depending . 

Usually I have spent time and money spent getting the wood. Then I have time invested in preparing the parts for glue up. Why not give the joint a little time to make sure everything is set properly. I can run and dive off from my dock into the river but I don't until I check to make sure nothing is in from of the dock. Just because there was nothing there the day before doesn't mean something didn't come down the in the night. 

Now the bottle also says to clean up with a damp cloth which to some will mean a wet rag. Wood soaks water and needs to be dry before finish is applied. Water also is the solvent to the glue in question and it will dilute it so I do not do not use a wet or damp rag. My damp rag may not be your damp rag. Hench the sharp chisel after the glue as set up but before it get really hard.

Tom