My first Dragon Egg
My first attempt at a hybrid rein/wood dragon egg. Alumilite Clear slow & some kind of pine root cluster from the swamp behind my house. Finished with Acks wood paste/ polish and General Finish's wood bowl finish
This is cool.........................
Very nice!

and an excellent video.

Could you tell us more about the epoxy and dies?
What did we see you adding to the 2 pots/mixes at the different times?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Awesome piece and great video. Don't want to hijack yourthread here, but I feel you pulling me farther down that slipery slope again. I thoght i was already close to the bottom. I am starting to be afraid that there is no bottom to this slope Any info on your pressure pot and epoxy preferences would be appreciated. As has been stated here many times, the price of your lathe is the smaller part of your investment. All of the tools and specialty items like the pressure pot all add to your investment, but it can really be enjoyable doing different things on your lathe.
(04-21-2022, 12:30 PM)Cian Wrote: This is cool.........................

Thanks
(04-21-2022, 05:12 PM)iclark Wrote: Very nice!

and an excellent video.

Could you tell us more about the epoxy and dies?
What did we see you adding to the 2 pots/mixes at the different times?

Thanks.
One had a slight touch of dye so it would be just a steady (I guess for a lack of better word) but still fairly clear color as a base. The other one was mica powder so it would have some swirls with texture (again for a lack of better word) through the base.
(04-22-2022, 12:29 PM)Turner52 Wrote: Awesome piece and great video. Don't want to hijack yourthread here, but I feel you pulling me farther down that slipery slope again. I thoght i was already close to the bottom. I am starting to be afraid that there is no bottom to this slope Any info on your pressure pot and epoxy preferences would be appreciated. As has been stated here many times, the price of your lathe is the smaller part of your investment. All of the tools and specialty items like the pressure pot all add to your investment, but it can really be enjoyable doing different things on your lathe.

It's a fairly hard question to answer. To start yes, resin is expensive. Obviously you cant just go find it on the side of the road or when your friend has a tree cut down and throw it on the lathe like a log. But to answer your question on resins or tooling would be impossible as I dont know what type of application you are trying to do. There are many many many different brands of resin and even different types or cures that each brand makes for different applications. If you are doing smaller pieces, some resins would have a slow enough cure time in a small batch to not even require a pressure pot or the use of a deep pour resin in a larger project also. So realistically you would need to research what would be required for the type of projects you want to do.
(04-22-2022, 12:29 PM)Turner52 Wrote: Awesome piece and great video. Don't want to hijack yourthread here, but I feel you pulling me farther down that slipery slope again. I thoght i was already close to the bottom. I am starting to be afraid that there is no bottom to this slope Any info on your pressure pot and epoxy preferences would be appreciated. As has been stated here many times, the price of your lathe is the smaller part of your investment. All of the tools and specialty items like the pressure pot all add to your investment, but it can really be enjoyable doing different things on your lathe.

Check out Youtube and two of the guys have done Thousands of projects in several ways and tell you which is good and which is bad.  One of the guys name is Zac Higgins and is a great turner and outstanding resin caster
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(04-23-2022, 11:27 AM)mtrainer90 Wrote: Thanks.
One had a slight touch of dye so it would be just a steady (I guess for a lack of better word) but still fairly clear color as a base. The other one was mica powder so it would have some swirls with texture (again for a lack of better word) through the base.

thanks
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.