Electric hand planer ... which one ?
I have never had an electric hand planer … always did it by hand.

I am in the middle of building a 4500 sq ft workshop.

When I started putting up the LVL’s and then TJI’s … wood beam headers and floor trusses … I found a lot of what I call over lap … spot where one layer stopped and a second started.

I hated this … held one LVL off the other when double up … my square would not sit flat on top of a TJI so it was hard to mark.

I called the manufacturer … he said sand (belt sander) or plane them off.

OK … tried sanding. Worked great but took a long time and wore out belts.

I was at Harbor Freight (please don’t laugh … I don’t buy and real tools from them …. just getting some bar clamps I could leave out in the rain).

I saw a planer on special.

Hmmmm … this might do the trick … it is cheap enough I can try it and if it dies before a year, for $5 extra, I can get anther (bought the insurance).

Been using it … it works great!

Took down the high spots … even brought a few LVL’s that had expanded over winter back to size.

But just as I figured, it died.

I am replacing in but I am sure in short time the replacement will die.

Since I use it so much, I want to pick up a decent one … but which one?

As usual, I have read all the reviews … but none jump out as a winner.

Even the lowest rated (craftsman for $79) got 4.0 stars.

Ryobi … $80 …. 4.4 // Porter Cable … $80 …. 4.4 Bosch $125 … 4.5 // Dewalt $159 …. 4.3 Makita … $169 …. 4.6 // Makita $239 …. 4.6

I want corded (did I say I was old school and hated most battery tools).

Any suggestions on which one and why?

Thanks again sooooo much … Mike

[/url]
[url=https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYAzdvTKwlfPxOTVmYMoAjg]Mike Builds a Workshop
We have 3 power planets in our shop 
We have a Harbor Freight 3 1/4” that has held upwellfor2+ yrs
We have a 3 1/4” Mikita that we’ve used 15.  yrs
Last we have a 7” Triton ( yes, 7”, it’s a beast) that we bought at Rockler for ~$350,  It’s heavy but perfect for timber’s and  big slabs
Take a look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=_a1HCqK5i-A   -Howard
Can only speak to the Makita planes. I own a large 6" plane & a 3" one both over 15 years old, both plane really well, other than replacing blades never a problem. The small plane has taken a real beating and shows no sign of slowing down.
Makita or Bosch would be my choice.  

John
Is chip collection with a vac important to you ?

If so Bosch is prob. the best bet.  Some (or all now) have a selectable chip extraction lever that throws the chips left or right depending on what side or hand you’re working with. 

The Makita 19xx has been around for 40 or so years and is a workhorse.  It can use thick steel /carbide  blades or the ubiquitous disposable type.  

If you’re looking for a dependable well built planer - get an older Makita on the secondary market.
(04-22-2022, 09:22 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Makita or Bosch would be my choice.  

John
^^^^^^^^^^^

This - I have multiple tools of each brand and love them both (no power planer). I'm kind of partial to Makita. Their tools just work and tend to last a long, long time.

Doug
Based on the "Tips from a Shipwright" recommendation over the other brands (see youtube link above) I got the Ryobi, the only Ryobi tool I've ever bought. It works well, particularly with some of Sauzedde's mods.
15 years ago I bought a Makita at an estate sale of a guy in the construction business, it was clearly beat up, heavily used and older, the price ($10) was right; sharpened the blades and it ran just fine, I use it perhaps twice a year and still runs like a top.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Did you use a really coarse "Planer" grit belt on sander?  I've used a 36 grit to do a similar job and it moved a LOT of wood in a hurry!
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)