Old Flooring
Is it worth saving old wood flooring for material? It's prefinished oak, fairly narrow. I was thinking it could be planed down a bit and glued up sideways to make a thick bench top or something along those lines. I saw Amazon has pneumatic nail removers. It wouldn't be worth trying to remove them all by hand.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
(04-21-2022, 10:41 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: Is it worth saving old wood flooring for material? It's prefinished oak, fairly narrow. I was thinking it could be planed down a bit and glued up sideways to make a thick bench top or something along those lines. I saw Amazon has pneumatic nail removers. It wouldn't be worth trying to remove them all by hand.

I use it for small projects all the time.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Depending on the age of the flooring, the finish could contain lead. Just a friendly caution.
It shouldn't, it was laid in the mid to late 80s.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
I bought way too much  unfinished hard maple flooring(too much was less expensive than the proper amount) since it was a factory buy out and needed over a million feet gone quickly.

I used it for all kinds of projects after ripping off the tongues and grooves and planing the grooves on the bottom level. Left stock a bit over 1/2" thick by 3" wide.

Run over a jointer prepped glue up edges, so could make whatever width I needed.

Only gotcha on used would be nails/staples.
I built some 8' shelves for my shed out of Brazilian cherry
(04-24-2022, 08:39 PM)K. L. McReynolds Wrote: I bought way too much  unfinished hard maple flooring(too much was less expensive than the proper amount) since it was a factory buy out and needed over a million feet gone quickly.

I used it for all kinds of projects after ripping off the tongues and grooves and planing the grooves on the bottom level. Left stock a bit over 1/2" thick by 3" wide.

Run over a jointer prepped glue up edges, so could make whatever width I needed.

Only gotcha on used would be nails/staples.
This. Having to sharpen or replace planer knives could make a bargain not a bargain.